Chapter 7

Previously on Chapter 6

I gently wrap my arms around her. She leans her head against my chest. I gently caress her hair, trying to comfort her the best I can. The feeling of holding her close... will be something I will cherish for as long as I live. I wish I can hold her forever, because I love her so much.

-Why?-

Y/N P.O.V

I realize I haven't called Ruby since the day I left. I have to call her soon, or she's going to feel as if I'm neglecting her. The feeling of getting neglected is one the worst feelings to have. I know because I felt it. After my mom died... my dad changed. He started to act brutally and would always neglect me.

"Mrs. Grose..." I said, entering the kitchen where she is currently cooking for lunch. She turns her head to look at me. "Yeah?" She said. "Is it okay if I use the phone? I'd like to make a call..." I said. She nods her head. "Sure... go ahead. You live here... just make yourself feel like home" she said. I smile happily. "Thank you, Mrs. Grose..." I said. I turn around and walk towards the phone.

I pick it up and place it against my ear. I insert the numbers and wait for her to pick up. I'm actually calling the school, because cellphones aren't allowed there. We're only allowed to have our cellphones on the weekends.

"Hello?" Someone said. "Hello... Mrs. Jones?" I said. "Yes? Who is this?" She said. "It's Y/N, Mrs..." I said. "Oh! Y/N!! Oh... it's good to hear your voice again. I heard you've already graduated. How are you, dear?" She said.

"Yeah... I've graduated. And I'm fine, Mrs. Jones. How are you?" I asked. "Never better. So how can I help you?" She said. "Oh... May I speak to Ruby please?" I said. "Of course. I'll tell her to come here" she said.

I turn my head when I hear a sound. But nothing's there. I decided to brush it off. I keep having these feelings ever since I got here. But Miles said there's no one aside from us. So I shouldn't think too much about it.

"Hello?" A voice said. "Ruby!" I said, happily. "Y/N?! Oh my God! I thought you've forgotten about me!" She said. "I would never! I'm sorry, Ruby. I've been so busy" I said. I feel so guilty because I can actually hear the sadness in her voice.

"Right... it's okay. So... how's teaching session?" She asked. "It's going great. He's surprisingly easy to teach. He's a quick learner too" I said. "Oh really? Well, it's a shame that he got dropped out of school" she said. "Yeah... it is..." I said, nodding my head.

"Hey, why don't you ask him why he beat that boy?" She said. "But isn't that like invading his privacy?" I said. "Oh come on!!! I'm curious! The rumor said that Miles beat that boy because he made fun of a girl he likes. Please..." she said, begging. I let out a sigh.

"Fine... I'll see what I can do..." I said. "Yayyy! Thank you! I know I could count on you!" She said. "Yeah, yeah... whatever" I said, rolling my eyes at her. "I can tell you're rolling your eyes right now" she said. "Uh huh... sure" I said. She lets out a chuckle.

We talked for a bit longer and said bye to each other. Of course, she made me promise that I will call her again. The call ended and I place the phone back. I yawn softly, feeling a little sleepy. I turn around and make my way to my room.

I lay down on my bed. I pull the blanket up to my neck. I close my eyes and relax. I let myself slowly drift off to sleep.

A while later

I feel something brushing my cheek. My eyes shoot open and I grab whatever it is. I turn my head to see it's Miles. He flinches as I grab his arm.

"What... what are you doing here?" I said. "Sorry... I thought you're awake. The lights is on. Scared of the dark?" He asked. I turn to look at the lamp and back at him. "No... I just like to sleep this way. You still haven't answered. Why are you in my room?" I said. He gives me an awkward smile.