Mafia's Mistake (Vol. 1)

Requested by: Nico-00 (Mafiaji with innocent Wei Ying.)
The first instalment of the Mafia's Mistake series.

"Watch out!"

Lan Wangji was shoved to the side with enough force that even his exceptional skills did not help him keep his balance, causing him to land awkwardly on his side, the gravel from the road tearing through his jacket sleeve.

He glanced up just in time to see a figure clad in a baby blue hoodie and white skinny jeans collapse to the ground, no movement visible to the eye.

The street was supposed to be abandoned, clear from any civilians. No one lived in the ramshackle houses and anyone with more than two brain cells knew that you don't dare to wander the streets of the province of Gusu after twelve in the evening.

Yet someone did.

Someone was at the wrong place, at the wrong time and saved Lan Wangji's life, risking their own whilst doing so.

Infuriated, he glared over his shoulder, his gun glinting once in the moonlight peeking out from behind the clouds, before his bullet pierced the chest of his rival, sending him crumbling to the ground like a ragdoll. Jumping to his feet, Lan Wangji went to his brother's aid, the Twin Warriors of Gusu Province moving in perfect unity, an awestriking sight to the rest of their men and subordinates, bringing the rogue Li Mafia gang to its knees when they took out the leader.

An eerie silence reigned as the high of war started wearing off.

Lan Xichen turned to his brother, eyes searching for injuries as he inquired, "Wangji, are you wounded?"

Lan Wangji shook his head but grabbed his brother's arm, hurriedly leading him to the person who'd taken a bullet for him earlier.

Upon seeing the sight, Xichen gasped and knelt down, searching for a pulse.

"He's alive, but barely," He declared after a moment, his voice containing a shadow of worry. "What happened? The area was supposed to be clear."

Wangji sat down and turned the body over, revealing the handsome face of a young man around his age, if slightly younger. Sharp cheekbones, well-sculpted nose and plump, rosy lips with a mole under them as if to entice one into kissing him senseless.

He lifted the boy's head into the crook of his arms as he explained, gazing at the paling face of his saviour.

"One of them snuck up on me. He yelled and told me to get out of the way before pushing me aside, taking the shot in my stead."

Blood blossomed on the boy's hoodie like poppies, marring the baby blue with the severity of the situation.

"We have to move. He's losing too much blood. He won't last at this rate."

Lan Wangji shook his head, still cradling the boy's head.

"We can't take him to the hospital," He told his brother. "The police will want to investigate. It'll attract unwanted attention, more than we can handle at the moment."

Xichen hummed in agreement, nodding. "You're right. Dealing with the law is the last thing we need, especially since things with the Jiangs are so hostile." He considered a moment. "But we can't just leave him here. Let's take him back with us to Cloud Recesses and ask Wen Qing for help."

After a business deal went awry a month ago, their lawyers, more commonly known as the esteemed Jiang family, had not been very helpful during their mafia activities, and thus they couldn't risk a lawsuit. Wen Qing and her family branch had pledged their loyalty to the Lan mafia of Gusu years ago in exchange for being spared when they took down the Qishan Devils mafia. Her family were miracle doctors, better than any surgeon in all of China, with Wen Qing at the forefront. If anyone could save the boy, then she could.