Caught Your Love Bug

Requested by: Jheril19

"My lady, you are awfully quiet tonight."

Jiang Fengmian had known his wife for many years. He loved every side of her, no matter how frigid or how sharp. He knew that beneath all the layers she wore as a shield against the world there was a woman that would move mountains and turn deserts into oceans for the ones she loved, the great matriarch of their family. Because of this he knew when something was weighing heavily on the mind of the Jiang family's head female.

It was a Friday night and they'd just left the gala celebrating the launch of the Jin's new fashion collection, standing outside as they waited for their driver. The main families of China had all attended as way of keeping up pretences of their good relationships. How tiring indeed to smile in the face of animosity that captured them all in a web of deceit, tangled and sticky, just ready for the press to devour them lest they let their guard down and cause a scandal that would paint the morning headlines in a shade of disgrace.

The evening was the firstborn child of Winter, a frosty breeze nibbling at the tips of their noses and the sky dyed in darker hues of blue and black by the beast of a season that brought cold and misery. The chill sent needles pricking underneath the Madam's skin and she pulled her sea foam lotus embroidered shawl closer around her shoulders.

She sighed. "The night has been long."

Jiang Fengmian put a warm arm around his wife's shoulder. "Is that all that bothers you?" He whispered into her hair. Her pinned up locks tickled his neck when she shook her head.

"Admittedly, no." A silence reigned amongst them, the chatter of loose tongued guests partying in full swing behind them fading to background noise. Abruptly, she announced, "I miss her."

The head of the Jiang household furrowed his brows like an old woman with shaking fingers would knit a scarf. "My lady?" He asked, bemused.

"Cangse Sanren," came the soft murmur.

Realization slapped Jiang Fengmian across the face until he revolved twice around the earth and crash landed back into reality. "It's the anniversary of their deaths," he breathed, feeling his heart contract painfully at the loss of his closest confidant, Wei Changze.

"Mn. The Jin's had a painting of hers hanging in the reception hall. Although it is wonderful for her work to be remembered, the sheer amount of talent she possessed, it almost feels like a mockery to display it on such a day as this."

Her husband made a noise of agreement, both too caught up in emotions and memories to voice what was on their minds.

Looking at the waning moon, Yu Ziyuan felt her heart beat a tad slower in mourning. Her voice was akin to a whisper when she finally spoke again. "I wish we knew what happened to their son..."

No sooner had the words been spoken than a series of coughs and wheezes sung from around the corner near an alleyway.

"Did you hear that?" Yu Ziyuan asked, her snake sharp gaze trained in the direction of the sudden ruckus.

Jiang Fengmian nodded and pulled her behind him as they heard the soft stumbling drawing near. "Stay here. I'll go and take a look."

The Lady of Yunmeng Jiang raised her chin with the dignity of a royal, befitting of her status as First Lady. "Hmph. The day I let a man walk all over me is the day that my name plaque becomes a part of our Ancestral Hall." And with that, she began walking with him, following the sniffles and nonsensical babble that became clearer with every step taken.