The Jade's Wrath

Requested by: Universal_bitch

The moment the stray arrow pierced through the air and embedded itself into Wei Wuxian's arm, Lan Wangji's vision was overcome with nothing but a crimson haze. Hearing the soft, controlled grunting gurgling from the throat of the man he loved, the slumping of his shoulders as the fire array pulsed weakly from lack of spiritual energy, made something inside the Esteemed Second Jade of Gusu Lan snap.

He turned a withering glare to the culprit, that rat of a Su She cowering behind the nearest disciple he could find. "You," Wangji growled, low and dangerous. The shiver wracking the traitor's body only fuelled him more in his fury, stalking a step closer with each word. "What. Have. You. Done?"

"I-I-I di-din't m-m-ean to. I j-just wa-wanted to sh-shoot the b-b-beast!"

Before Wangji could take action - whether it was to berate the bastard some more or to give him a slow and painful death was still an ongoing debate within the Lan's mind - Wei Ying grit through his teeth, "Just go and don't get in my way."

Jiang Wanyin and Jin Zixuan ushered the disciples to the water, the Yunmeng clan taking initiative to help the injured and those who could not swim to the hole under the pool of murky black water.

Chaos ensued.

The fire array petered out and left Wei Wuxian vulnerable against the beast of Xuanwu, Jiang Wanyin shouted a promise to come back for his brother just before he and Jin Zixuan disappeared beneath the surface of the lake, and Wangji threw caution to the wind in order to save his beloved from the snapping maws of the overgrown lizard.

Only once they were settled in a grotto just to the side of where the mythical being's reach ended did Lan Wangji find it in himself to take a proper breath again, and despite the damp, mildew stench of stone and moss, it felt invigorating. It felt alive.

Wei Wuxian, on the other hand, was none too impressed with the sudden turn of events. Hands on his hips, he pursed his lips together and tapped his foot thrice. Wangji would have blushed red to his ears from endearment if the words spilling from the youth's mouth weren't so scathing. "Lan Zhan. What were you thinking, you hard headed fuddy-duddy? It would be fine for me to be stuck in here, the duty of a spare and a ward and whatnot, but you are the Second Jade, for ancestors' sake!"

Lan Wangji flinched, exhaustion and pain weaving into a quilt that settled over the youngest Lan sibling. "Wei Ying, I -"

"NO, I don't think you understand the magnitude of the situation at hand here, Lan Zhan. You could die here because of lack of proper medical care and -"

"I could not leave you," Wangji murmured. He looked Wei Ying firmly in the eye, not backing down.

Wuxian's mouth snapped shut from his initial shock over the revelation. He searched the Jade's face a few moments longer for something Wangji could not exactly place before he sighed, stance relaxing with the exhale. "Oh, Lan Zhan..."

Said man shifted uncomfortably on the ground. Sweat was beading on his brow, dripping down his face in rivers with the rancid lake water. He hadn't taken a proper look at his leg yet, what with the lighting being so dim, but with the glowing heat radiating from the crescent bite wound and the lack of feeling in his toes he doubted if he actually wanted to see the full extent of the damage.

Wei Ying took a knee, studying the white robed man. He did not speak. He did not do anything apart from stare.

After a few beats of the scrutiny, Lan Wangji couldn't take the unnerving look anymore, despite his heart doing somersaults at being the centre of his Love's attention. "What's the matter?" he asked.