You'll Play Your Part

Wei Wuxian stood on his tippy-toes to give his husband one last kiss. Drawing back, he leveled the Second Jade with one of his loving smiles (the kind he reserved strictly for his family, brimming with affection and fondness). "Take care, Lan Zhan. Try to enjoy the Discussion Conference if at all possible."

Everyone was well-aware that Discussion Conferences were nothing but a lavish excuse for prominent figures in the cultivation world to get together and dally over minor matters which could be resolved with a dash of compromise and a lot of common sense, and of course to make one's own sect appear more influential than another to gain favours and the occasional under the table bribe. It truly was a two to three day migraine at its best, and a political bloodbath hidden behind painted on pleasantries at its worst. Joy was the last thing one would find at such an event, a thought Wei Ying and Lan Wangji both knew well. Still, the sincere wish delivered so simply warmed Lan Wangji's heart. He allowed his lips to melt into the smile he wore for Wei Ying only, cupping his husband's cheek and feathering his thumb over Wei Ying's cheek bone. "Mn, I will."

The Discussion Conference was to be held at Lotus Pier this time. Lan Xichen had just began taking the reins as Sect Leader once more with Lan Wangji still helping him on certain fronts so as not to overwhelm his brother, thus why the two of them would go to the conference together. (It was worth mentioning that very few dared approach or ridicule one of the Jades of Lan at such events to enter into unfair bargains, let alone both of the Twin Jades together). Lan Sizhui was also joining his seniors on the trip. As he was the heir apparent of the Gusu Lan clan, it would be good exposure and training for the junior disciple to see how things were run. If rumours were to be believed then Ouyang Zizhen would be joining his father as heir to the Ouyang clan and, since he was inaugurated as the new clan leader of Lanling Jin, Jin Ling would attend as well. Wei Ying mentally wiped a tear from his eye at the notion; how fast his little ducklings were growing!

"Will you be alright by yourself?"

Lan Wangji's question drew Wei Ying from his thoughts. He winked playfully. "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Besides," Wei Wuxian turned to glance at Lan Jingyi shuffling uncertainly a few steps away, brows furrowed and shoulders slumped with his head hanging low, "I have something to take care of."

Lan Wangji nodded in understanding. He bent to press a kiss to Wei Ying's crown, lips lingering just slightly longer than necessary before pulling away. "Take care, Wei Ying."

"You too, Lan Zhan."

The Second Jade drew Bichen from its sheath and mounted his sword. With a final wave, the delegation of three Lans took the skies and began their journey towards Yunmeng.

By the time Wei Wuxian turned around, Lan Jingyi had long since disappeared.

All playfulness faded from Wei Wuxian, his demeanor serious. "Time to help my other son."

It didn't take him long to track down the Lan boy. It was no secret that when any member of their little family's mind was heavily burdened, they tended to escape to the bunny meadow near the back mountain. True to thought, Wei Ying found Lan Jingyi huddled under a tree with a bunny in his lap.

Moving closer, Wei Ying saw the junior's shoulders shaking, soft sniffles filling the air. His chest ached at the sight. "Oh, a-yi," he sighed, taking a seat next to the boy.

Lan Jingyi's teary eyes looked up at Wei Ying, his bottom lip wobbling. "B-baba?"

Wei Ying smiled gently. He opened his arms without a word. Lan Jingyi collapsed into his embrace with a sob. Finally given the safe space he needed to be vulnerable, Lan Jingyi cried, and cried, and cried.