Chapter 2

Water rippled in hypnotic waves, lapping hungrily against the sides of the ceramic tub. Candace cautiously stuck her hand under the faucet, testing its temperature. It had to be perfect after the hellish day she'd endured. She sprinkled bath salts, bubbles, and soap petals under the cascading water.

Candy removed her robe and then sank into the tub. Steam met her descent as the hot water enveloped her in a shroud of warmth. The water stopped just below her breast. She took a deep breath to give her body a minute to adjust to the scalding temperature. Then she leaned backward, submerging her body more fully into the water.

Candlelight flickered in the small dark room. Whitney's rich vocals filled the bathroom. Her eyes drifted shut, thoughts of Logan and their rendezvous at the office. She rubbed her forehead. How could he let his jealousy ruin the professional façade they maintained during working hours?

Candy was furious with herself too. Her will crumbled too easily under his touch. What had she been thinking? Shaking her head, she reached for her loofah. She hadn't been thinking that was the problem. Embarrassed, Candy sank further under the water. Allowing herself to get caught in such a scandalous position was utterly disappointing. Would she ever be able to look Ashton in the eyes again? Time would tell, but the sooner they finished the project the better. She was more than ready to put the whole incident behind her.

"There you are?" Logan's voice cut into her thoughts.

"What the hell!" Candy shrieked nearly jumping out of her skin. Water splashed all over her tiny bathroom, drenching the floor.

"Are you finished drowning?" Logan asked.

It was as though her thoughts had conjured him. There he stood, in her small bathroom his arms crossed over his muscled chest. He was not the least bit disheveled after the long hours he'd but in. His spiked hair was still perfectly styled on his head. Candy blew out an agitated breath. He could have had the decency to look a little rumpled. She was frazzled when she walked through her front door. But at this point Candy was sure she looked like a drowned rat.

"How did you get in here?" Although they were involved for over two years, she had never given him a key to her place.

"Through the front door. You left it unlocked." Candy cringed she had to get better at locking the door.

She accepted the glass gratefully. In her haste to escape the questioning looks from her peers, she'd completely forgotten to stop by the store on her way home. At least she wouldn't have to run back out. She hated going outside after she'd had her nighttime bath. As if the night air would somehow pollute her freshly cleaned skin.

A swirl of her wrist sent the contents crashing against the sides of the glass. Her lips wrapped around the rim. She tipped it upwards. A drop of the ruby liquid drifted onto her curious tongue. After the first tentative sip, she threw her head back, drinking deeply from the cup. The sweet liquid bathed her tongue and slid smoothly down her throat. Sweet red wine was her favorite.

"This is a good start," she said, handing him the empty glass.

"Excuse me?" Logan raised a questioning brow.

"The wine is a good start towards apologizing for overreacting today and embarrassing us."

"Speak for yourself. I wasn't embarrassed. I could never be ashamed of you or what we do when we're together."

"Well, I was, and I'll gladly accept your apology."

"Let's get one thing straight. This isn't an apology. I picked up the wine because I know you like it. I want you to be happy." Licking his lips, he pinned her with a serious stare before continuing. "Furthermore, I won't have you prancing around the office flirting with my clients."