Chapter 10

"What did you say to her?" Logan asked, his voice laced with anger.

"Her?" Emily's casual response set his teeth on edge. "You'll have to be a little more specific if you expect me to know who you're talking about."

"You know damn well who I'm talking about. Don't play dumb. We both know that's one thing you're not." Logan took a deep breath grasping for a shred of patience. He asked the question again as calmly as he could muster. "What did you say to Candy?"

"Oh her, I may have mentioned something along the lines of 'you replacing her as your mistress."

"Why would you do that? He asked heatedly."

"What? She exclaimed in mock innocence. Don't blame me. You're the one practically sexing your new secretary in the lobby. After all the practice you've had cheating on me, you'd think you would've learned how to be discrete."

"We had a deal!" He refused to fall for her cunning manipulations. Bringing up his shameful behavior was a tactic she used often. He knew what he'd been doing. He'd taken a calculated risk. He'd watched Candy the whole time he'd flirted with Amanda. He wasn't sure why he'd done it. Maybe a small part of him hoped her reaction would match his own when he'd caught her messaging another man. He wasn't ready to see her dating anyone besides him. Not that they were dating. He certainly didn't like where his mind went. Picturing her with another man set his blood on fire.

"Oops, sometimes I just can't help myself. Pressing her buttons is just too easy. It's like asking a kid not to lick the lollipop."

"What do you know about kids?"

"I know everything I need to know. They're annoying little brats."

"I'm going to love making you regret breaking our deal."

"I highly doubt that. What's your plan for revenge? Screw your little whore again? Remember, I can twist her mind anyway I'd like, and there's nothing you can do about it.

"Stay away from her. This is the last time I'm going to tell you." Furious, he slammed his thumb over the end button before she could respond. He barely resisted the urge to throw it across the room.

Later that day, Logan strode towards Candy, his steps determined.

"Candy, come with me. You're doing a ride-along." Logan said as he strode from his office. He gave his orders, hardly sparing her a glance, and continued on his way without checking to see if she would follow him. Candy fumbled for her tablet and then scrambled from behind her desk.

A ride-along was a trip to the job site. Over the years, Candy had accompanied him numerous times. Since the breakup, he'd taken the trainee instead of her. Normally she looked forward to their little outings away from the office. Sometimes it was the only alone time they'd have for hours, but not today. Today, she dreaded being alone with him, confined in a car. What would they talk about? Would they argue the whole time they were away from the office? So many questions plagued her, and she had no clue where to begin deciphering them. She would find out sooner or later.

"You never told me where you were going for vacation," Logan said after several long silent minutes in the car.

"Yea, I guess it must've slipped my mind." Logan could pry all he wanted. There was no way she was going to tell him where she was heading. Especially since she wasn't planning on returning anytime in the near future. "We've barely spoken for two weeks."

"I'm trying to catch up now, but you're being so damn secretive." Candy's face heated at the mention of a secret. "Are you going away, or are you one of those people who spend their vacations at home?"