fourteen

******

ZURI WAS DEEP UNDER THE HOTEL COVERS in the freezing cold room. She was sleeping until her mom began singing. Zuri groaned turning over. "Wake up! You're 17!" Eve sung.

Zuri looked over at the clock. It's read 7:34am.

"Mom. It's 7 in the morning." Zuri groaned.

"I know but I have a day planned out for us. We're going to get our nails done, lunch, I'm buying you anything you want and I have a big surprise for you let's say around 8 o'clock!" Eve chirped excitedly.

"Get up, Get up, Get up!" Eve said dragging Zuri out the bed. Zuri laughed as her mom pulled her arm dragging her off the bed. Her mother's strength shocked her as she landed on the floor.

"Now. GET UP AND GET DRESSES BIRTHDAY GIRL!" Eve yelled.

At the Thompson's residence, Miranda was preparing a birthday breakfast for the twins. She was making Zuri's favorite pancakes and Zac favorite french toast. She was hoping that Zuri would atleast stop by for breakfast, so she wanted to surprise her. As she was mixing pancake batter Sean came down the stairs in a foul mood.

He didn't even speak to Miranda as he got a mug from the cabinet and poured him a cup of coffee. "Good Morning to you too." She laughed.

"I called Zuri four times this morning and all of them went to voicemail." Sean groaned looking at his call log.

Miranda knew that Zuri was stubborn like her father and that she'd contact him when she was ready to talk. "I am going to see Billy today. Maybe he can't give me parenting advice in daughters." Sean stated sipping his coffee. That's when Miranda have had enough. She threw her whisk down and let him have it.

"Sean. She not another species. She's a human with emotions. Yea you men don't gets as emotional as we do but there's nothing to fix it. You are her father. When she feels down you talk, comfort or give space. Yelling at her, confronting her. It's not helping. The reason she's running to her mother isn't because she prefers Eve over you and vice versa, Eve is a mother with maternal instincts who comforts. Although you don't have those instincts you can still comfort her. Stop with this pity party, stop blaming her, get your head out your ass and be her father. Because in the long run you're going to wish you had." Miranda yelled at Sean.

Sean was stunned at the steepness in Miranda's voice but she knew she wasn't wrong. Sean nodded and kissed his wife. "You're right. I'm sorry. I know i hit a nerve."

Miranda didn't have a good relationship with her father. So seeing Zuri and Sean go at it was tough for the Native lady. "It's okay. Just-I don't want her to end up distancing herself or hating you. You're a great father Sean don't let her scare you into thinking you're not." Miranda smiled kissing him back.

As Sean went upstairs to get dressed the door opened up to Zuri and Eve. "Happy Birthday sweetheart!" Miranda yelled going to hug her and kiss her on the cheek.

"Morning Eve." Miranda smiled. Eve smiled back not speaking.

"Do you want any water, oj, tea?" Miranda asked Eve.

"Just a water. Thank you." Eve smiled.

Miranda nodded and grabbed a glass and filled it with the water from the pitcher. She handed it to Eve who thanked her. Zuri was happy watching her mother be cordial with her stepmother. It also helped that she gave her mom a lecture in the car not to bring up certain things in the house.

Before Zuri could speak a knock was heard at the door. She went to answer it and there stood Paul. He had four birthday bags in his hand.

"Happy Birthday Z" He smiled. He kissed her cheek as he entered the house. She smiled and her cheeks were warm.