And Let Me Kiss You

AND LET ME KISS YOU

BETH

It was the morning of the unveiling of my 1D competition banner and I'd been at College most of the night adding the final touches to it.

Tom paced slowly around the enormous canvas that was taking up the entire floor of the art studio. He flicked a few strands of his floppy sand coloured hair out of his eyes and adjusted his glasses, standing back to admire my work.

He'd become my best friend at Art College in the few weeks since I started and looking at him now, I had to admit he really was quite attractive, in a preppy kind of way. "You're so talented Beth. Seriously. The technique in your watercolour is amazing and the differing perspectives you've used in the London landmarks, Tower Bridge, The London Eye..."

I beamed. "Thanks Tom! What do you think of the boys? Do you think they're a good likeness?"

"Well I'm not really into One Dimension..."

"Direction," I corrected.

"Ah yes. Sorry, I prefer classical music myself, but, the detail you've put into their faces is incredible. I'd say you have a realistic chance of winning this competition."

"Seriously? Oh my goodness can you imagine? I'd get to meet 1D! That's my dream!"

We both stared at the painting and I felt really proud of myself for completing such a massive project. "Do you really love it?"

"It's beautiful."

I turned to look at Tom, ready to thank him but when I did; I noticed he was looking at me and not the painting, his big brown eyes gazing lovingly at my hair. I flushed pink with embarrassment.

God, why was I so totally unable to handle people being attracted to me?

Thankfully, at that moment, the door to the studio opened and a team of removal men came in and started carefully rolling the banner up so it could be transported over to the Houses of Parliament and fastened onto Big Ben's huge clock tower. I was so excited I couldn't keep still and kept jumping around of the spot to try and get rid of some nervous energy.

Tom had his camera out. He was taking 'Photography' and 'History of Art' as his options and he was so knowledgeable about everything he put me to shame. The only drawback though was that you couldn't exactly have the most interesting conversations with Tom. In fact, most of the time, his main topic of conversation was photographic equipment.

"See here Beth?" He ushered me over while he unscrewed the lens of his ridiculously big camera. "This aperture determines the amount of light that reaches this sensor. Halving the shutter speed doubles the exposure by 1EV or more."

"Really?" I had no idea what he was talking about or whether I was even looking at the right bit but I tried to sound as fascinated as I could. "That's amazing!"

"Yep. Although a typical sequence might be one tenth of an EV."

"Wow," I shook my head slowly in awe, wishing Tom had just a bit more of a spark about him. Although compared to Kirk the furry diced moron, he was definitely my best option to date.

After my heart to heart with Rylan yesterday,  I was beginning to feel stupid for having to admit that I'd never even kissed anybody in my whole life. In fact last night I'd made up my mind that I was just going to have to do it soon. I kept hearing Rylan's camp voice in my head "You'll end up a sad, lonely, sexually frustrated old woman." I didn't want that! Part of me though was still thinking. Why settle for someone who is just 'good enough'? I mean was it too much to ask to hold out for Mr Perfect? I don't know. Maybe it was. Maybe he didn't exist.