Croquet and Xylophones

"That's it. I'm through".

Eloise threw her croquet bat on the ground with disgust, where it splintered with a mournful crunch. Quickly, she stripped herself of her robes. These were far less exciting then they sounded, being merely a black boiler suit and opera cape ensemble decorated in shoddily drawn stars and Nordic runes in silver Sharpie. Free of her loathsome burden Eloise shivered in the late November air in only her thermals.

Georgie, Seb, Advik and Lydia, having just caught up with Eloise after she had stormed out of their weekly meeting at the cult while they were still in their ending circle of peace, were breathing hard. Mats was not with them. He had skived off that week claiming to have a throbbing headache but they all knew it was because he was with his new girlfriend who seemed to have transformed him into a rock god wannabe.

"Oh dear", Lydia said as she tried to salvage Eloise's croquet bat.

"But you was getting so good at the Xylophone", said Seb with feeling.

Eloise gestured to herself. "Is this the face of someone who cares?"

Seb had to concede that it was not. He held out Eloise's robes to her but she refused them, folding her arms in a vain attempt to hide her goosebumps.

"No, I am never putting those things on again. I told you, I've hand it. I'm not going back there. I'm just going to have to find some other way to live up to Hades' standards."

The other four looked at each other, Eloise had said this sort of thing many times since they had joined the cult. Every week as it happened.

"But you can't quit", said Advik. "Hades is going to be more than cross, he'll be", Advik dropped his voice to a whisper "disappointed".

"Besides", Seb added, "If you quit then we will have to. All for one and one for all, remember".

"We never said that", said Eloise. "You're just scared to go back in there without me."

Seb looked hurt. "No", he said unconvincingly.

Georgie elbowed Seb playfully. "Don't worry you have me". She was only half joking. It was true that since agreeing to join Body Building Society, Georgie had put on a bit of muscle, but she was still a head shorter than Eloise.

Seb's ears blazed scarlet, and he smiled shyly.

"But I must admit to agreeing with Eloise on this point", continued Georgie, oblivious.

The others stared at her. Even Eloise put a finger in her ear and moved it around just to check her hearing was alright.

"I'm sorry", said Seb, voice like a dog whistle. "What?"

Georgie shrugged apologetically. "I'm sorry. I know I said it would work and I really don't want to let the team down, but I just can't deal with the misogyny anymore. If I hear one more comment about cleaning someone's going to die. Which, now I think about it would solve a lot of problems considering Hades' mindset. But I'd rather avoid eternal damnation if it's at all possible."

"I've changed my mind", Eloise said. "Lets all go back right now. I want to see this."

The others chose to ignore her. It tended to be best to do so at times like this.

"Fair enough", said Advik. "I hadn't noticed, but that's the issue I suppose".

There was agreement all around.

Relived, Georgie smiled. She hated to let her friends down. Especially Seb who always looked so worried when she voiced unease, as if she was the only one who could stop this chaotic world overpowering him. Georgie really hoped that was not the case, she was not sure she could handle that level of responsibility. It was probably just his sympathetic expression, made all the more endearing by his umber eyes. Yeah, that was it.

"Okey dokey", Georgie said, clapping her hands together. "Lets give ourselves tonight to think of new ways we can pretend to be evil, It shouldn't be too hard now we have the hang of pulling the wool over Hades eyes."

"Do you actually think he doesn't suspect", asked Lydia in a small voice. Eloise walked over and took her hand.

"Ha", Georgie laughed, unable to help it. "No, I'm pretty certain. Hades is ....." Georgie was about to say lovably innocent but that would sound sympathetic which she certainly was not. This man, this devil had made their lives misery during what was meant to be the most exciting time of their young lives as they started university. On top of that, Hades had almost put Seb into a coma when he revealed his identity and that, in Georgie's books, was not on.

"Hades is oblivious", Georgie decided on. "He likes to pretend he's omnipotent but in reality he's just a bumbling fool in a suit." (Okey, bit harsh but what was she to do).

"So, no need to panic", said Seb with that look.

It was as if he expected her to save the world, Georgie thought. Blindfolded with both hands tied behind her back. Unsettling.

"Nah", George said, scrunching her nose and shaking her head. "We'll just write some pretty nasty reviews about cafés. Then go there the next day and tell them how amazing their Victoria sponge is."

Lydia closed her eyes and spoke. "But for this cake I would be a fine fellow, but now, alas, I am but a bull's-pizzel, starveling, uncharitable dog. Your tea is such that it has transformed me into a sodden-witted lord, not clean enough to spit on and any more of your staff's witless conversation would infect my brain."

"Brutal", said Georgie.

Eloise was looking at Lydia with something akin to awe. "Did you just make that up?".

Lydia lent her head against Eloise's shoulder. "It's Shakespeare, Eloise."

"Good stuff", said Georgie. "That's sorted then. Lydia is definitely on crushing reviews. We can come up with some more stuff tomorrow."

"Piece of cake", said Seb, grinning.

"I'm not sure I'll be great at all that thinking", said Advik gloomily.

"Mate."

"Nonsense".

"Don't do yourself down".

"He might have a point."

"You came up with the last idea", said Seb.

"Exactly", said Advik. "I'm spent."

Georgie patted the boy on a rather solid back. "We'll sort something", she said bringing the conversation to a definite close, with a pointed look at the others. They took the hint.

Croquet bats over their shoulders or, in Seb's case, wielded like a gentleman's cane, and robes swishing in the wind, the five progressed back to Persephone's grove, looking forward to a hot bath and Spike's incredible hot chocolate.