Love conquers all

"I have known some cretins in my time, but you lot take the biscuit."

Hades raged as his palms burnt scorch marks into the table, not caring how long it would take Spike to gorge them out and re-varnish the table. Inside, his heart beat strong and fierce, ready for slaughter.

How had he been so blind. Hades cursed himself for trusting these imbecilic youths, he should have known better. He should have kept a better check on them than leaving them to their own devises. Because of this, Hades was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He had told his demons that all was well, that his master plan was working and soon Hell's gates would be flooded with sinners. But these were all falsehoods caused by defective information and blindness caused by affection. The plan had moved nowhere, if anything, it had gone backwards.

Wide eyed and pale, the students stared fearfully at Hades. As well they should for there are only three sights more terror inducing than the Devil in a craze, and these may not be written or spoken of for the woeful afflictions they would cause. Lydia had scooted her chair as close to Eloise's as she could and Georgie was still gripping Seb's hand, the only thing which was holding him back from the edge. Seated on his own, Advik wished Mats was there so that he too could have a companion to cling to.

It was at this moment Spike bounced in. "Don't panic everyone, I've found the fus.... Ohhhhhh, saints almighty".

Hades did not stir. His hands had sunk half an inch into the table.

Spike looked around the table at the terrified faces mirroring his own. He had heard stories of Hades' famous anger, the rage that could destroy cities and melt souls but no one who told those stories had ever witnessed it for themselves. It was always someone's friends' uncle's girlfriend's grandmother who had witnessed it. Spike wished it had stayed that way.

Georgie caught his eye. "Go", she mouthed.

Spike shook his head, he could not leave them, not after he had come to love him so.

"Please", Georgie mouthed desperately. This time Spike could read the hidden message 'we cannot escape this but there is still time for you'.

Horrified by his own actions, Spike edged slowly from the room. It was true he could do nothing to help his friends, he was a sub-par demon at best, bever really one for violence and only able to conjure enough demonic energy to light a match. Never before had Spike regretted his lack of fury. If only he was more like his sister, then maybe he could cause a distraction long enough for them to escape. But maybe....yes.

Spike took the stairs two at a time. Advik had a cricket bat in his room which could be used to knock a man, or devil over the head. Spike would die of course, killed by his Gov. But it was a sacrifice he was willing to make.

In the dining room, a primeval growl rumbled in Hade's throat. "Always so noble, Georgie", he said like a starved wolf, forced into famine by the winter. "It is so deeply sickening. I imagine you will be telling me it was you who came up with the idea of wasting yourselves on a cult like the fools I now know you to be."

"Of course, it was me", said Georgie without missing a beat.

Breathless, Advik started, but Georgie ignored him.

Hades, senses heightened, did not miss the small movement and smiled cruelly, tongue between closed teeth. "There you go again. You are not doing yourself any favours here my girl. You could go far. I have seen the way you think, the way your brain runs a second faster than everyone else's in the room. But for you to succeed in this world, the self-sacrifice must stop. Let others fall while you rise to the top. That way, you can be so much more."