one

dedicated to: @karaloveswriting because she has been an amazing friend. You're pretty much a step closer to your dreams with each passing day. Strive hard and I know your dad is very, very proud of you... your mum too. x

Go check out her story. It's pretty amazing. :-) x

__________

chapter one:

"To Carmen! For finally having the balls to morph into adulthood," Eddy cheered loudly as he raised his red plastic cup filled with cheap vodka.

"You're only eighteen once, love!" Amelia laughed and gulped down the vodka straight from the bottle.

"I have approximately 365 days to live being eighteen, so, just chill the fuck out, guys," Carmen joked and nudged Amelia.

She excused herself from her bunch of friends that were clearly completely wasted and smiled at the idea of making sure that they'd all have a horrid banging morning the next day. Carmen checked her phone and replied to a few birthday texts with a simple thank you and a smiley face.

"Eddie, tone the fucking music down before I fucking castrate you!" screamed Eddie's sister, Joan.

"Nobody put you in charge, you twat!" Eddie shouted back, clearly embarrassed by the flush in his face. His sister was thirteen and she had more power over him than his mother... which was weird, even for him.

"While the Stones sort their crap out, we should get home," Bryan exclaimed. "I'm sure Carmen's mum would love to celebrate with her for a bit."

She nodded and gave everyone a hug. They were a great bunch of friends. Some weren't even in the same high school as hers, but hey, it didn't hurt trying to make friends out of the school circle, did it?

"Happy birthday, Carmen. Sorry about shouting at Eddie. Did I ruin the moment?" Joan said softly as she walked Carmen to the door.

"Thank you. And no, you didn't. You stepped in just in time, as always." Carmen gave Joan a tight hug. All those bickering with Eddie was a way of Joan showing him that she cared, even when he almost got kicked out by his parents because he was deemed as the worthless child.

"Carmen?" Joan called out.

"Yeah?" She turned around and fixed her beanie.

"Could you..."

"Talk to Eddie?" Carmen asked and plopped her head to the side.

"Yeah... He needs to get his shit straight and you're the only friend of his that's actually... normal." Joan laughed.

"I'll talk to him about that. Well, you always need a neutral friend in the group, don't you?" Carmen smiled and stuffed her hands into her coat's pockets.

"Have a good night, Carmen. Happy birthday!"

"Thanks. Oh, and I know you don't get enough recognition for this, but thank you for being there for Eddie. Goodnight Joan." Carmen could see Joan's face flush pink. It was weird how there was a night that she found Joan crying in the park and that's when everything unravelled.

Amongst the group, Carmen knew many things about everyone. She was someone that people could talk to really easily and that's why everyone in the group loved her-more than her dad ever did.

Sometimes she would crave for more, like a real relationship, just like in those classic Disney princesses films; but she knew, it was all too good to be true. For now, whatever this bond she had with all her friends, she decided that this... this was enough.

__________

Author's Note: yes, it's in the third person point of view. well then, let's begin a new adventure together, shall we? :-)