eleven

chapter eleven:

The only inanimate object that mattered in Carmen's life was a locket that was given to her by her mum. Her mum passed away from breast cancer about two years after her father left them.

She remembered everything so vividly. Carmen could never forget the years of when her father left them for a skank. Clearly, someone didn't understand the meaning of 'taken' and honestly, Carmen wished she could bash Andrea's and her dad's head to the fucking wall, but she can't because this world doesn't actually have a day where all sorts of crime was legal like in the movie, The Purge.

"Hello! I'm home, my darling café!" Andy said loudly and Carmen immediately snapped out of her thoughts.

"Oh, so you just happened to leave without notice? You're in a lot of trouble, mister." Carmen closed her locket and gave Andy a tight hug.

"I think my sister-in-law's birth doesn't really have a notice." Both of them laughed and sat down at the empty café. They were due to open any time soon but they just wanted to embrace the silence and calmness before the huge tide set in.

to: Bryan
from: Carmen

I totally spaced! Could you tell me when Jasper's birthday is? Love you. xx

to: Carmen
from: Bryan

can't he tell you by himself?

Carmen immediately dialled Bryan's number as Andy went to the back to get his apron on.

"What?" Bryan answered coldly.

"Is it winter already?" Carmen scoffed. Someone clearly got out from the wrong side of the bed today.

"What do you want, Carmen?" He sighed.

"Are you okay? You seemed off since yesterday."

"Nice of you to care. His birthday is on next..." Bryan stopped and Carmen could hear him slamming some books on the table. "Friday. Next Friday, Carmen. Is that all?"

"Thanks! Are you okay, Bryan? Do you need me to come over with some tea?"

"If that's all then talk to you soon, Carmen."

"Bryan, talk to me. Don't shut me out, please." She clearly didn't know what was going on and all she wanted to do was reach out into the phone and give him a tight hug.

"It's nothing, okay. Just... leave me alone to think for a bit. All of you are just so noisy," he groaned.

"That's cause I love you, alright? I'll come over for lunch later. We can go to your favourite place and it'll be my treat."

"I don't need your sympathy. Bye."

Carmen sighed as she heard Bryan hang up. The last time he acted this way was when he found out about his parent's divorce because he had a decision to make. He was given a choice whether to follow his mum or his dad and honestly, he was so torn between the two of them that he ran away.

She was so overprotective of her friends to a point that it scared her a little. She had no family or any siblings. Her friends were her most important people in her life and truth be told, they were her family.