twelve

chapter twelve:

Word got out that Eddie killed himself.

Carmen didn't know what to do at that point when she heard of the news. He was one of her best mates. She couldn't picture how torn apart Joan would be.

"Bryan, how's Joan?" she asked weakly through the phone.

"She's crushed, Carmen. I don't know what to do." He sighed. Joan was hugging herself at one of the plastic chairs in the hospital. When the police came to her house, she was afraid of what had happened.

They wanted her to ID the body that they found washed up upon the shore. Her parents didn't care at all and she couldn't understand why. He was their son after all and he was found dead. Why aren't they upset at all?

"Can't you come here, Carmen? I'm sure she needs your support. She can't do this all by herself."

"Fuck it. I'm coming," Carmen replied immediately and chucked her apron aside. When Miss Lexi saw her storm out of the kitchen, she was puzzled.

"I'm so sorry, Lexi. But I really need to go..." she pleaded, hoping that her boss would be understanding.

"Is this about the Millers?" Lexi asked with a concerned look plastered on her face.

"Eddie... yeah. I'm sorry but could I just take a week off? I don't mind if you need to deduct my pay or whatever."

"I'm so sorry to hear that about your friend. Take as much time off as you need, Carmen. Just text me whenever you're gonna come back, alright?"

Carmen nodded and Lexi gave her a tight hug.

"Send them my condolences, please. You're a great friend, Carmen. I hope you know that."

"Thanks, Lexi. Sorry about the short notice." Carmen gave a small smile. She couldn't even bring herself to smile at anyone right now. She just lost a friend that was lost at finding himself.

When Carmen arrived at the hospital, she immediately spotted Bryan's signature scarf and ran to him. He looked frail, as though he would his legs would fail him any second now. Bryan pointed to Joan who was sitting there, totally zoned out.

"Joan, hey." Carmen approached her and sat on the horrible plastic chair. It made a creak when she turned to Joan.

"I don't get it, Carmen. I just... don't!" Soon Joan's dam of tears broke but Carmen couldn't find anything to say to her. What could you say to someone who has lost someone so dear to her? Instead, Carmen hugged Joan while Joan cried into her jumper.

When the chief inspector came and ushered Joan and Carmen into a quiet room, he gave them a moment. Joan wanted Carmen there even though the chief denied that request. In the end, he had to give in.

"I'll give you some time." He walked out of there and stood right outside the door. Carmen could see his broad shoulders through the blinds.

"I can't do this, Carmen..." Joan shivered and they were just separated by a glass.

"Do you want me to?" Carmen asked. She was afraid, too. She knew this moment would scar her for life, and the image of Eddie will forever be in her mind.

After a few minutes of sobbing and a few words being said, Carmen turned the doorknob. She could see Joan through the glass. She took a deep breath and could smell the disinfectant in the air which she hated. The attendant gave Carmen a nod and unfolded the white cover to reveal the face of the victim.

It was Eddie.