seven

chapter seven:

"Chess? You've got to be kidding," Andy snorted.

"I'll take over your shift if you help me. Please? I just need to practice!" Carmen pleaded. She would do anything for Andy to 'train' her for the little bet she made with Bryan.

Bryan told Carmen that if she won a game of chess against him, he would definitely dish all the juicy details about Jasper.

"Why me?" Andy asked and rolled his eyes while chewing his chewing gum.

"Cause, one, you are on the chess team and two, you actually won a few regional championships before."

"You're right... I am a genius after all!"

"So, would you do it? Please, please, pretty please!"

"Fine. But honestly, you just have to learn the basics."

"Easy for you to say," Carmen answered back and got on with her job. She tried playing against her computer but she didn't know which fucker invented the brain for the chess game application on the computer. She could never win it! Not even a match!

Bryan came through the café door and gave his signature smile when he saw Carmen.

"What are you doing here?" Carmen asked.

"Did you happen to buy this place? The last time I checked... you didn't. So I am allowed to step into this café and get a drink."

"Woah, chill out, mate," Andy said and chuckled at Bryan's sudden outburst. "So you actually made Carmen play chess?"

"Everything has a price, mate. Innit?" Bryan smiled at Andy and placed his order.

When Carmen came up to his table, she tried to talk Bryan out of the stupid chess deal because she knew that she could never understand the basics in less than three hours or much less win the freaking game.

"No way. I'm not going to dish everything out to you without getting anything in return," Bryan exclaimed and took a bite out of his sandwich.

"Then? What do you want?"

"Okay, fine. No chess, then. Just tell me, is Andy..."

"Gay?" She blurted out.

"No!" He instantly replied and his face flushed pink. "Well, yeah... is he into guys?"

"I'm not too sure, Bryan. I can ask him if you'd like?" She asked, almost too innocently. Bryan always praised her for her kindness and always wanting to help others.

"Andy!" she shouted and ran to the kitchen.

Bryan sat there, fiddling with the string of his teabag and noticing how his palms became a little too sweaty. At that moment, he wanted to slap himself for asking that favour from Carmen. It was too much.

"Hey," Andy called out to him and he immediate snapped out from his daze.

"Um, hi?" Bryan immediately got up and searched the café for Carmen but failed. "Tell Carmen I have to go. Some emergency just came up."

"Yeah... okay."

Bryan's heart sunk. For a moment, he thought that he had a chance. He didn't knew he would chicken out at the very last minute. As he stepped out of the café, he felt the chilly Brighton winds and wished that they could blow him away.

Then someone grabbed him by his elbow.

"Here's my number, Bry. Maybe we should go out sometime, yeah?" Andy grinned and waved Bryan goodbye before going back into the café.

Maybe, just maybe, he finally had the chance to go out with his high school crush.