Mothers Day pt. 1*OLD

He looked through the dozens of cards the aisle had to offer. "You done yet, Sonic? I need to help Tails and Knuckles next..." Y/N asked impatiently, tapping their foot on the marble floor of the store. "I need to get the perfect card that sings and compliments the box of chocolates and roses I got for mom" The blue hedgehog explained to Y/N, they just rolled their eyes at him. "I'll be in the candy aisle, I need sour skittles..." Y/N walked off.

Sonic continued to stay in the cards aisle, he found two that were perfect but I didn't know which one to choose, so naturally, he went to Y/N. "Hey N/N," He started, approaching them as they were browsing through the sour candies. "Yeah?" They responded, bending over a bit to browse the lower candies. "I need help, should I choose this card or this one?" On one hand, there was a hot pink card that had "Happy Mothers Day" written with pink and green glitter and when opened would sing a brief mothers day jazz song. On the other hand, there was a yellow and blue card with the same letters but written in cursive and when opened, it would play an upbeat mothers day song.

"It doesn't matter, they're both good. Buuut mom prefers jazz, just saying" Y/N side grinned, continuing to look through the candy, they eventually decided and took a pack of sour skittles. "Wait, why aren't you getting things for mom?" Sonic asked them, eyeing them with suspicion. "Sonic, I'm the artist of the family, I already got and made mom stuff before May even started" Y/N scoffed, seemingly offended. "Okay, well what did you make?" He asked them, "Pssh, fat chance I'd tell you" They chuckled rudely. Sonic just grumbled in response to their rude chuckle, "Well, I'm done, let's go check out" He announced. He shifted on his heel and walked to the checkout counter with Y/N behind him.

•••

"Hey Tails, what are you working on?" Y/N asked him as they handed over a screwdriver which he requested for. "Well, mom says she loves neon signs, so I'm making a neon sign that says "Happy Mothers Day, we love you mom!" Since it only seems right" He responded to their question with such confidence, "Batteries" He simply demanded once more. Y/N handed him the battery pack, still glued to their phone. "Who are you texting?" He asked them, not breaking his attention from the neon sign. "Tyler, he needs help getting gifts for his moms" Y/N responded.

They slowly looked away from their phone and at Tails, "Since when did you become dad?" They retorted, he looked at them with such confusion. "Dad asks who you text?" He asked, giving Y/N the weird eye, "Not only that, he sometimes goes through my phone when he thinks I'm "hIdInG SoMeThInG" when I really am not!" Y/N raised their voice, very clearly annoyed. "Dad never asks me what I do" Tails responded, shrugging his shoulders, averting his attention back to the neon sign. He placed the batteries in the sign and sighed with content. He flipped a switch on the back of the sign and watched it flicker, it was a neon pink and yellow

"Let me guess, you only went all out because you three agreed to a competition" Y/N said out of the blue. They weren't wrong, Tails, Sonic and Knuckles agreed to a competition, whoever had the best gift would have to wear an outfit of the winner's choice for a whole day out in public. And they all made sure it would be an embarrassing one. "Yeah" He gave in, it's like Y/N had a 6th sense, a sense that allows them to feel what was going on between the three kids.

"Well, yours looks really good, if it doesn't win, I don't know what will" They complimented his neon sign, "Why thank you, I made it with my own bare hands" He flexed my gloved hands, chuckling wryly. Y/N giggled, "Okay, well good luck with the competition, may the best man win" They walked out of the garage, probably going to go help Knuckles with his thing.

•••

"Okay Knucks, what are you making for mom?" Y/N approached the kitchen, their attetion still on their phone. "I am preparing a wrapped gift" Knuckles seemed to be confused with the wrapping, twisting the wrapping paper in the wrong directions. Y/N strolled over and helped Knuckles. "What's in here? Also pass the tape" Y/N asked, Knuckles grabbed a roll of tape from the kitchen drawers and handed it to Y/N.