Chapter Two: Uncontrollable Thoughts of the Past

Mikal Parker

     The car ride was quite normal for us. Lenny spent most of the time chatting away like a hyena to Rayn, who listened quietly in the back seat. During the short drive, I noticed little things about Rayn. Throughout the time Lenny spoke, I often caught Rayn on her phone. Was she dating someone? I don't remember Rayn dating at any point in our school years. It wasn't that she couldn't date. Rayn was as pretty or even prettier than most girls at Devenport.

There was a time I noticed how beautiful she was and found myself entranced by her looks. But Rayn's issue wasn't her beauty. No, it was the resting bitch face she naturally wore. Without trying, she appeared mean. It didn't help that she carried a bat with her most of the time. Or her rarely speaking to anyone besides Lenny. Guys knew she was pretty. Rayn just wasn't approachable to the easily frightened teenage boys at Devenport. 

By the time we pulled into the school, my mind drifted into memories of our childhood, which I thought I had forgotten. They were great memories, but life now was better. Sure, our trio was no more, but there was no point lingering on spilled milk. I would enjoy the moment. 

Rayn and Lenny hopped out of the car, with Lenny offering me a parting wave. Rayn gave me a short nod before following behind my sister. I smirked at how frigid she was with me.

    "It's fine. I trust you." Rayn's voice echoed in my head. The image of her shining clearly, reminded me of the past. I shook my head, trying to erase the memory. I promised myself I would not bring it up again, but the mind works mysteriously. Just when you hope you can forget, it reminds you. Even when you think you've locked away the worst memories, the door opens. I try to shut away from the memory as I walk into school.

Devenport is as loud and lively as it always is. Going to the same school as your parents are pretty cool. You hear their stories and picture them almost perfectly as you're familiar with the setting. It's a school known for producing some of the best football players. People move to Everton to attend our school. 

It's not just the school's reputation that keeps it so popular but how high energy the atmosphere is. There is always some activity going on in the walls of Devenport. At the moment, the School Spirit Committee was leading the filled halls in a school chant. There were streamers along the walls and ceiling in red and blue. I'm not sure when the glitter appeared, but there were reflections of the scattered glitter on the ground. The hall was a mess, but everyone seemed happy.

Of course, attending the same school as your parents have its downfalls. Hayden Parker as my father, left me with an array of comparisons. Was I a ball of energy like my dad? Would I play as well as he did during his time? Would my friends and I be the next Hayden and Theo? The dynamic pair were legends in the halls of Devenport. Making your mark in the same institution your parents attended is difficult. I wondered, for a moment, if that was the reason behind Rayn pursuing softball. Only for a slight moment did I think of her before pushing her into the back of my mind.

A quick smile interrupted my face when I glimpsed Celeste. She was wearing her cheer uniform. She was laughing hysterically at the person in front of her. Her head dipped for a moment, and I glimpsed the person. It was Jamie, my teammate. We were pretty cool. He hung out with Celeste, my best friend, Joshua, and Joshua's girlfriend, a few times. Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around her waist and snuggled her body into mine. She smelled like bubblegum drops. Much like her, she was always so sweet.

"Hey babe," I said before kissing her neck. She freezes slightly. Her reaction catches me off guard. I loosen my grip on her and add some space between us. "Are you ok?"

Celeste turns around, offering me a smile. I returned it. Realizing I must have just surprised her, I reach out to pull her back into an embrace. Her movements are a bit rigid, but she hugs me. My eyes meet Jamie's. He's frowning a bit. He's probably annoyed by our public displays of affection as Jamie doesn't care for stuff like that. 

"Sorry, Jamie. I just wanted to give my girl a proper greeting," I admit. I find her lips, pecking her as proof of my words. Jamie doesn't say anything. He offers a slight nod. 

"You, ok?" I asked him, noticing he seemed a bit annoyed. 

"Yeah, I'm good. I should probably go. I have an appointment with Mrs. Wilson during her office hours," Jamie tells me, taking a few steps back.              His eyebrow furrowed in frustration. Jamie looks at Celeste, his eyes lingering longer than usual. I looked between them, and a hint of worry flooded me as an unbelievable thought crossed my mind. 

Celeste offered a smile before asking, "Walk me to class?" Although it seemed less like a question and more like a desperate plea. Celeste slipped her hands into mine. Her familiar warmth embraced me. She beamed at me again, wiping away all clouds of doubt. 

I leaned down and pecked her lips, "Sure thing, babe." 

Celeste's class wasn't far away from her locker. The walk was short, but Celeste managed to use the time to share her ideas for our next date. Before I could offer alternatives to her suggestions, she kissed me again and dashed into class. 

Exhaling, I walked to my Biology class. It was a pretty chilled class. Mrs. Hawett was unbothersome as teachers came. She didn't see the need to overwork or stress her students. For her, it was either you understand, or you didn't. She didn't care either way.

Just as I was about to enter the room, I glimpsed Rayn. She was frowning deeply at her phone again. There was a wrinkle between her brows that I had some strange urge to press against it. Rayn sighed. The movement peculiarly drew attention to her chest. There was no denying that Rayn's body was similar to Aunt Rylee's. Don't judge me. Sure, I loved Aunty Rylee, but I couldn't help the fact that, during puberty, I discovered just how attractive my mom's best friend was to me. Well, Rylee inherited a similar "attractiveness". She was 'filled out' everywhere. I didn't know why I was suddenly interested in looking at her, yet I knew. 

    "Please," Rayn's voice pleaded in the memory. I remembered how soft they looked. They were trusting eyes. There was a time she would tell me everything. Now, those eyes bore hatred and were always cold to me. 

"You will be partnered up for your final project. I will be selecting the pairs. No changes will be permitted," Mrs. Hawett stated, pulling me out of my thoughts.

    I stole a final glance at Rayn before opening my book. She was frowning, her natural state of being. She snuck a glance at her phone. I frowned. Why was she so preoccupied with her phone?

"My business is none of your concern, Kal," Rayn's voice boomed through my head. I frowned. Was every last moment with Rayn going to haunt me today? 

"Turn to page ten of your textbooks!" Mrs. Hawett instructed. Thanking her for pulling me out of my thoughts for a second time, I grabbed my textbook. The thoughts of Rayn drifted away. I was happy about the peace.