Chapter Five: Ultra Red

Mikal Parker

"Please pass the list of partners for the final project," Mrs. Hawett instructed, passing the papers to a student in front. The room filled with paper shuffling but was soon filled with reactions to the pairings. Some students rejoiced while the majority groaned in dissatisfaction. 

When the paper finally got to me, my eyes scanned for my name. It was almost at the bottom. My breath hitched, realizing who I was partnered with for our final projects. My eyes found her. She was staring at the paper in disbelief. Not that I could blame her. Rayn and I were paired together for a heavily weighted assignment.

"This list is not just your final project pairings, but your seating assignments. Please reseat yourselves now," Mrs. Hawett directed. The class groaned and complained. But no one dared not move. 

"Odd numbers on the left, even to the right," she informed. I grabbed my bag and headed for the last row on the left. We were at the back of the class. I quickly settled on the furthest seat, remembering Rayn's preference for inside seats. 

Rayn took her seat, ignoring my presence. The class quickly settled down. Mrs. Hawett began giving the instructions for the assignment. She handed out another sheet of paper outlining the details she was discussing. 

"There will be no reassignments. Please save all complaints. I won't be changing my mind. Now, on to today's lesson," Mrs. Hawett warned. There were groans in the classroom, but no one dared make a complaint about the assignment of partners. 

The class appeared to drag on with Rayn next to me. I became hyperaware of her movements. The way she looked up from her textbook, how she used her pen to brush the loose hairs behind her ears. Everything went south when my eyes took notice of her lips. They looked soft and kissable. 

"Kiss me."

The memory flashed brightly in my mind. I forced myself to look away. There was no point in remembering the past. 

"For the last few minutes of this class, please schedule a time to meet up for the planning portion of your assignment," Mrs. Hawett instructed. I watched as the class prepared themselves to discuss their projects. Rayn sighed, her parting mouth capturing my attention. 

"Do you have any ideas for our project?" Rayn asked, avoiding my gaze. 

"No," I replied. Rayn snorted and began shaking her head in disbelief. Her attitude triggered something in me. It reminded me of how dad reacted when I chose practice over fishing trips with him. 

"Is there a problem?" I snapped. My tone was more irritable than I realized. Shock initially graced Rayn's face before being replaced with anger. 

"Yes. Being partnered with you. You never take anything but football seriously. I would like to pass this class-" Rayn began, but her comment set off trauma I kept locked away. 

"Who the fuck are you to say what I take seriously?" I hissed, venom spewing out every word. I was so tired of hearing people tell me what I did and did not care about. 

Ray frowned deeply, "Don't curse at me, Kal." Her eyes widened, realizing she used her nickname for me. My heart softened at the sound of it. Rayn looked away, understanding the impact of what she said. 

The awkwardness around us intensified. For a few minutes, neither one of us said a word. The sound of the bell sharply cut the tension. Rayn began packing away her items. I sighed. 

"Let's meet up by me tonight. Does eight work for you?" I asked. Rayn just nodded and left; I exhaled. This was going to be a long few weeks. 

The rest of the day went by swiftly. Classes were long and drawn out. Lunchtime was boring, since Celeste had a Cheer meeting. I just spent time third-wheeling with Joshua and Everlyn, his girlfriend. Not that Ev minded. She was practically one of the guys.