Chapter Nine: Smiles, Sways and Stolen Moments

Rayn Bradshaw

"You look A-MAZING!" Lenny squealed. To say she was eager for the party would be an understatement. She came to my house four hours before the party's start time. We were an hour late, but Lenny was right. Both she and I looked amazing. Well, as good as two non-partygoers would look. 

Lenny was dressed in a light pink high-waisted skirt and a black sheer long sleeve top; it accentuated her breasts despite her being an A cup. She complimented the outfit with some black Louboutin pumps. Her make-up was sinful as Lenny opted for a classic smoky eye and red lips. She wore the Parker name well. In fact, Lenny's beauty was so unfair. She was almost doe-like when dressed up. 

I, on the other hand, opted for a safer option. I wore my plaid pinafore dress with a black turtle neck and some white sneakers. I wore a high ponytail, kept my make-up natural, and opted for lip-gloss instead of lipstick. The outfit clung tightly to my curves, especially my hips.

Even though I didn't want to think about it, I wondered what Mikal would think when he saw me. Would those green eyes darken swirling pure desire when he locked eyes with me? I swallowed deeply, remembering the feeling of him so close to me. The raw heat that emitted from him coated my skin. It was crazy how overtly aware my body was of his smell, warmth and touch. It was as if he could touch me without lifting a single finger to my body. Kal was--is my drug. 

"Ready?" Lenny asked, grabbing her keys and bag. Turning to her, I offered a fake smile of enthusiasm. Lenny rolled her eyes, "You'll be fine. Let's just have some fun." 

Timothy Hunt was a senior who made a name at school for throwing the best parties throughout the year. He was far from an athlete. In fact, he was closer to being kicked out of school than any other student. His parents' continual donations to the school keep his seat warm enough for him to graduate. He was a cool guy if you got passed the fact that he was already high. 

Like all of his parties, it was packed. Everyone was there having a great time. Timothy got a DJ, so the music was crazily loud, with lights flashing and strobing as if it were Tim's house was a nightclub. To the regular eye, it appeared to be one. The kitchen was essentially the bar, with Reese Taylor, a guy on the baseball team playing bartender to all the teens eager to get shitfaced. The living room area discarded most of its furniture to make room for people to dance. There were a few remaining sofas left for the ones who had zero desire to partake in the dancing. The smokers found themselves against the walls, blowing artistic designs into the poorly ventilated room.

"I'm going to grab us some punch," Lenny shouted, leaning closer to my ear. I nodded before sliding to the left slightly to secure a space in the corner for Lenny and me. I wasn't big on parties, but I loved to dance. Lenny was the best person to dance with since she was always so happy when dancing. 

I swayed my hips to the beat of the song unintentionally. It was a good song, and I was a sucker for a good beat. I felt a hand on the side of my hip. Anxiety crept up on me, but I knew it wasn't Kal. The touch didn't ignite that feeling in me. My head snapped back to see a smiling Weston. 

"Nice to see you here," Weston whispered in my ear. I returned a pleasant smile, ignoring his hand lingering at my waist. 

"Is that code for "Rayn, you never go out?" I teased, knowing it was what he wanted to say. Weston chuckled slightly and shrugged. 

"Maybe," Weston joked. He took a sip from his cup, his eyes never leaving mine. He scanned the area before leaning closer to my ear to ask, "Did your best friend come here too?" He stood up, his eyes taking in the quirk of my eyebrow and the slight smirk forming on my lips. Weston blushed a bit. 

"Well, I'll be. Wes, you got a crush on Haylen?" I questioned playfully. Weston kisses his teeth, but a smile is plastered on his face.

"You ain't gotta say it like that, Rayn," Wes says, and I grinned. 

"Yeah, she's here. She should be back in a few with our drinks. Want me to put in a good word for you?" I asked, curious about his intentions with Lenny. 

Weston's smile brightens, "You'd do that for me?"

I nod, "Yeah. If you're serious about-" I started, but Weston quickly shuts me up. 

"I am. I've had a thing for her since middle school. But you know her brother is Mikal, and I swear the guy has it out for me," Wes complains. I didn't understand Kal's disdain for Wes. Weston hadn't done anything to him. In fact, they both ran in different social circles. Rightfully, Kal was a king at Devenport, but Weston was clearly a king on the baseball field. He was admired and loved by baseball enthusiasts. Heck, even the softball parents loved Wes. Kal's hatred for him didn't make any sense. 

"I got our drinks!" Lenny shouted, announcing her presence. She sent me a knowing look once she recognized Wes' presence. I sent her a quick shake of the head before taking my drink.

"Lenny, you remember Weston Gibbs, right?" I asked innocently, trying to give a clear opening to Wes. Wes didn't miss the chance. He flashed his charming smile at Lenny, whose eyes lit up. Lenny was a sucker for a pretty smile. Unfortunately, or fortunately for her, Wes had a gorgeous smile. 

"Of course. Our star pitcher, right?" Lenny replied, a twinkle in her eye. Weston's smile widened further. He launched into a conversation with Lenny as if it was a usual occurrence. I chimed in here or there or whenever the other needed help confirming something. It was a mere minutes before my presence was ignored by the two. My cup was empty, and I needed a few minutes away from the smoke. 

Excusing myself from the two of them, I discarded my cup to a nearby table and ran upstairs. It took me a few minutes to find an available bathroom. The others were either occupied with persons making out or puking out the alcohol they'd just consumed. 

Entering the bathroom, I fumbled around for the light switch. The coldness of the wall freaked me out, but I finally felt the ridge of a panel and switched on the light. It took my eyes a few moments to adjust to the brightness. Before I could turn around to close the door, I felt the presence of someone enter the room. Click. The door shut, and another clicking sound followed, indicating the door was locked. I looked up, fear consuming me. 

Green eyes met mine.