Chapter Thirteen

"Dear? Do you smell something burning?" Ray mumbled one morning, shooting wide awake when he saw thick black smoke coming out of the middle of the shrine. "Ah! Where's Kai?!"

Maya didn't wait around to find out, not when her precious son could be in trouble. Lo and behold, Kai was sitting in front of a burning hot plate, watching as some brown sludge bubbled in a pot. "Happy Mama's Day!" He exclaimed, paying no attention to all the smoke and flames coming from whatever he was cooking up. "Wanted to make breakfast."

The water master couldn't help but burst laughing at the entire scene. Of course she still had to put out the fire before the clay melted. "You cooked all by yourself?"

"Yep! Well with a little help from Missy." The toddler declared, puffing out his chest proudly. "It's barbecue oatmeal! With dried squid, you've been eating a lot of it lately, blech!"

Misako simply chuckled as she stood off to the side, rubbing her now prominent baby bump. "Well squid is full of nutrients to help our little ones grow. I have to get back to the monastery when it's time, but I will tell Garmadon I'm having a boy. Ugh, first I think we should do something about that... Uh, interesting dish you have there. Sweet oats and salty mollusks don't really go together all that well, I learnt that the hard way after trying Lily's squid ink sesame balls. The roof of my mouth needed a major scrubbing that day."

"Hey! I didn't think they were that bad."

"Well thats because you had all that beer alongside your chankonabe. Hopefully your son would be a much better cook than you are if he does follow your footsteps." Maya laughed, feeling a kick. "Oh Kai, I think your little sister wants to say hello."

Peering at his mother's belly, Kai gave it a poke. "There's a baby in there? I thought you were just getting fat. Wait, all sumos are fat." He giggled.

"Oh Kai, there are actually quite a few thin rikishi as well, such as your father. They can overpower their heavier rivals by how they use their own strength, like how your father came up with the fiery oshi-dashi, he ensures no one gets their hands on the belt of his mawashi."

"Cool! Could I try that?"

"Well maybe once Nya is born I could teach you one of my favourite moves. I call it the Okuri-Wave, I get behind my opponent and send a blast of water to push them out."

---

"The Destiny's Bounty huh? It's got everything we'll ever need! An inventing room for Jay, actual mats to sleep on, a full furnished kitchen and the deck is even made of the same clay used in the dõhyo! All its missing is a forge, but I think a wooden ship isn't the best place for molten metal." Cole remarked, brushing some dust off a counter. "How about I make dessert tonight?"

Usually Kai would comment about how the last time the earth sumo cooked it resulted in either a new type of compost for the rice fields or everyone feeling like they just ate rocks, but he had been quiet since leaving the hidden shrine. "All those memories of me with Mom came flooding back the more I was there, it doesn't feel right to just pack up and go."

Feeling bad for his new friend, Cole patted his shoulder. "I got to learn so much about my mother while I stayed there as well. I'm also a bit sad we're leaving that old place, I bet Garmadon is too with how long he's lived there. But we can make some new memories in here, and do our moms proud. I know it."

"Th-thanks Cole. You're a swell guy. I wonder how Nya is doing with Missy and her son, I don't think I ever got his name."