Ch.2: A New Life

I was deep into the mattress, layered with the comforter and thinner sheets of the bed. It had been a week since Katherine and I first got here. I could feel the rays of the blinding sun lay gently on my face, mainly on my eyes. But I didn't feel like opening them just yet.

I tossed and turned to the other side of the bed, but the door opened. That's when I knew I had to open my eyes.

In my sight was Katherine. She was already in her dress. It was a lightish purple with a tad bit gray in it. The under covers were pink, and her sleeves were kinda puffy, but tightened towards the end of it. It also had some pink patterns, or lines, going down her dress skirt and top. "Wake up Elizabeth," she said in a friendly tone, "it's time for breakfast."

Katherine's hair was also tied up in a half up half down look, with a bit of volume at the top. Her hair had waves, her signature look. I have seen Katherine only a few times with straight hair for the 315 years I knew her.

I groaned and turned away from her, but she followed my body wherever it turned. I was still dressed in my night gown. It was white and the sleeves were a bit see through. At the top of my night gown was some gold patterns and a few lines that you could tie. The rest of my dress that covered my body just flew down. The material felt like some bed covers.

"Come on Elizabeth," she grabbed my shoulders and shook them slightly, "Also Stefan said there's a special guest coming later on, so better to get pampered now." Katherine had the maids do much for her since we got here. They would help her with dressing up, like tightening her corset and making sure the ends of her skirt weren't folded or messed up.

Even though Katherine had her own maid, Stefan gave us access to his maids, or the house's maids. Katherine took this to advantage, I believe she uses them more than Stefan does.

I finally gathered up my strength, which is a lot considering my abilities, and lifted myself up and went to prepare myself.

"Don't be took long Elizabeth," Katherine told me as I walked out the door, "I want to have breakfast with you."

~~~

The green dress fitted just right on me. The dress matched with the color of the grass, the whole dress was filled with nature patterns with different shades of green, brown, and a hint of yellow. The neck line of the top was long and in the shape of like a rectangle. There was some design hanging from the neck line of the dress, it looked like something you would see on tablecloth.

I walked out of my room and into the dining hall. I saw Stefan on the other end of the table and Katherine to his side, sitting down. Looks like they were waiting for me.

I took a seat next to Stefan as well and right across from Katherine. In front of us were cooked beans, corn bread, mashed potatoes, and chicken. The smell was delightful.

I didn't want to take the first scoop of food, so I waited. Luckily, Katherine grabbed some mashed potatoes, cooked beans, and chicken. Stefan took chicken and corn bread. I, lastly, got mashed potatoes, cooked beans, and corn bread.

"Are you enjoying your stay here ladies?" Stefan asked us while he was slicing his chicken pieces.

"Yes actually. The beds are much more comforting than my old one. The food is scrumptious. And your company is quite enjoyable," I stared grabbing dinner fork and dinner spoon. Katherine just nodded, agreeing with what I said.

The mashed potatoes were cooked just right and the taste buds in my mouth were reaching to get a taste. It was warm and felt like thick soup, but I still stuffed my stomach with it.

The beans had some burn marks which meant they were gonna be delicious, at least that's what I think. It had a rubbery texture to it, but doesn't all green beans.

I ate the corn bread last, for it was sweet. It was pretty much my dessert.

"So Stefan, I told Elizabeth about your guest. Do you mind telling us who it is?" Katherine asked swallowing the beans she just had in her mouth. She cut up a slice of chicken and was placing it in her mouth as Stefan responded.

"Oh yes," Stefan replied grabbing his table napkin and wiping his mouth and hands. He cleared his throat and was ready to speak again, "my brother is coming to town."

"You have a brother?" Katherine and I both said in shock. Well I mean it does make sense, they wouldn't have all of this, the huge house, the maids, for nothing. Unless Stefan was a spoiled little boy, but he didn't seem like the type.

"Yes, my brother serves in the Confederate army, and he's going on a leave to come see you two," Stefan mentioned.

"How delightful," Katherine clasped her two hands together, "when do we meet this said brother?"

"Oh not till later," Stefan replied softly, "we could wait in the garden for the meantime."

"There's a wonderful idea," i commented. We all finished our dish and waited for a few minutes to allow the food to reach our stomachs and digest.

We then got up and walked outside.

———————————————————————
Words: 926

A/N: here are some pictures of the dresses I was describing in this chapter (if you need a visual reference):

Katherine dress ^ (this is the best picture I could find. It's not the best quality but it'll do)

 It's not the best quality but it'll do)

Elizabeth's night gown ^

Elizabeth's "nature" dress ^