Chapter 1

I was craving a cheese patty and a cocoa bread. It has been on my mind all day and I've been trying to ignore my craving. Walking out of my room, I go to join my mom on the living room couch.

She was watching Greenleaf, but I don't know why. It was filled with so much drama and doesn't really resonate with our true Christian values. She knows daddy would throw a fit if he saw her watching it too. However, it's not my business what the deaconess want to indulge in, so I shut my mouth.

Placing my head on her lap, I started to squirm.

"What is the issue now Gracie? Why you come out here to bother me?" She asks, running her hands through my hair.

When I didn't respond, she continued to question me. "Are you in pain my baby?"

I shook my head no. "I want a patty mommy." I whined instead.

She laughs out loud but says nothing further.

I roll my eyes at her but ensuring that she doesn't catch me doing it. Despite me being a full fledge adult, I know not to pass my place with her. She will thump me in my eye.

"Mommy I want a patty." I say again. Why is she ignoring me?

I started to poke her stomach once I realized that she was ignoring me.

"Lawd God Grace! Mek mi watch the likkle show in peace nuh man." She says frustrated.

Feeling some type of way I got up from the couch, heading back to my room. The thought of the patty now not so appealing to me.

I wish that I was allowed to take public transportation. I would have taken a taxi into the town already to get my patty. Sighing deeply, I started to watch a few WhatsApp status to take my mind off the patty fiasco.

After a couple of minutes I got bored, so I locked my phone and closed my eyes.

I'm not sure when I fell asleep but soon I found myself in a familiar room. It was bright, with lights beaming down on me, making it hard for me to open my eyes fully.

Suddenly, I heard a voice. That voice that was calling my name when I had passed out in church. It was reading. Listening keenly I could make out that he was reading a bible verse.

"Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD."

After much concentration, I could recognize the verse. However, I'm not sure why this stranger's voice kept reading this verse to me.

Waking up suddenly, I found my self in cold sweat. My clothes and bed linen were all soaked through. Getting up, I quickly got out of the wet clothes, walking into my adjoining bathroom for a quick shower.

While in the bathroom the strange dream kept replaying in my head. What was God trying to tell me? Where are these dry bones that I need to speak to? And why am I now determined more than ever to go get those patties?

After my shower I got dressed and took up my purse and phone. I had an itch that won't seem to go away and I'm determined to investigate it. My spirit is telling me that I need to be at Tastees right now.

In the living room I meet my mom still planted by the TV. She looks up at me, and does a double take when she sees me.

"Where are you going?" She asked. Her tone a bit accusatory.