Chapter 5

Grace

I pulled the mic away as the final note of the song comes to an end. I look over to
Tyreek, my partner and smiled. The church was in uproar following our rendition of Overflow.

Tyreek hummed the final chords of the song and we walked off the podium to applause and rounds of "amen" and "hallelujah". I was on a high for the remainder of the service. This was typical of every time I sing. It had been my passions from a tender age.

Growing up I had extreme anxiety when it came to singing. It would get so bad that I would forget the words in the middle of the song. Meeting Tyreek in high school changed that. He was outspoken and brave and would hold my hand throughout our duets.

Getting him to come to church with me was a challenge in the beginning due to his sexual preference. Church people tend to be the most judge mental. However, I wore him down and he's been coming to church and singing with me for years.

After church he joined me by my dad's car as he gossips. I wasn't really paying much attention to him because Isaiah was texting me. He was heavy on my line since our phone conversation two weeks ago.

I was smiling hard at my phone right now because if I must admit he is funny. I introduced him this Christian series that I'm watching and his commentary has been top tier.

"Look how you deep in a yuh phone and a grin. No sah!" Tyreek says pulling me out of my phone.

I looked up at him blushing a bit at being caught.

"Yuh find man and nuh tell mi Gracie?" He asked conspiratorially. I shook my head telling him no. Technically, Isaiah is a man but he's not my man.

"Mi feel like yuh a tell lie. Who yuh a text and a smile suh and mi stand up right yah suh? Mi a yuh only friend so yuh suppose to be paying attention to wah mi a tell yuh." He continued.

"Who tell yuh that? I will have you know that I have a lot of friends." I lie. A him alone mi have outside of these fake church friends who only hang around me for clout.

He rolled his eyes at me and before I could stop him, he pops the phone out of my hand.

"Who name Isiah? A one different church him go?" He asked after a second of looking nuh at my phone screen.

I laughed at him. Isaiah and church sounds so funny. After him a nuh Christian. Although his name would lead people to think that he is someway affiliated with the church.

"Yuh too nuff, gimmi mi phone sir." I say, stretching my hand for the phone.

"Mi ago tell deacon seh yuh bruck out. Look at you... bout yuh a text man. Yuh think yuh a big woman?" He says loudly and I had to clamp my hand over his mouth as one of our nosey church sisters passed by us.

"How yuh can chat suh? Gweh man, that's why mi nah come nuh where with yuh." I tell him.

"Oh please Gracie, yuh never did ago come nowhere. Yuh nuh see how yuh lock up in a house like furniture now. Mi just did ask yuh out of curtesy." He says, with a hint of sadness in his voice.

My smile dropped.

I was about to respond when my parents approached us.

"Good job today guys." My mom walked up to us smiling. I smiled back at her but I'm sure it looks fake. Tyreek didn't smile.

"We're gonna head out now. Tee, you want us to drop you by the bus stop?" She continued.

My dad is already in the van waiting for us. He doesn't talk to Tyreek much and I figure it's due to him being who he is.