Chapter 2

A knocking at my window stops me mid prayer. Looking up, I see the guy with the voice standing outside holding two bags.

Mercy on my soul.

I knew that he was probably checking on me but I was scared to talk to him. He knocked again and I decided to crack the window a bit before he breaks it.

Opening the window slightly, I looked up at him. I know he could see inside the car because he was really tall, at his full height. He leaned on the door, peaking his eyes inside the car and I grew nervous.

"For somebody so small, yuh fast man. You do tracks?" He asked jokingly.

I didn't laugh at his joke though, his voice was throwing me off. Instead, I stared at him until he cleared his throat, awkwardly.

"Um, suh mi never get fi too apologize inside before you left. Mi never did a pay attention like that and I'm  sorry bout yuh food." He said and I nodded. Is like me turn mute to how I'm hear not saying anything. I was being rude.

I noted how well he spoke though, not a common thing in what I assume is his line of work.

"It's fine, I was rushing as well." I finally spoke up and he relaxed a bit.

He smiled at me and I folded my lips while my eyes soaked him in.

"So yeah, mi buy yuh back yuh patty dem still."He said, holding up one of the bags.

He couldn't hand it to me due to the tiny space in the window. I had to open it up some more.

"Thank you. You didn't have to do this," I say as I opened the window fully now. He hands me the bag and I looked inside seeing two patties and a coco bread.

"How yuh mean pretty girl? Of course mi affi do that." He says with a smile. Is he flirting with me?

Lord be a fence.

My phone started to vibrate in my pocket and pull it out seeing my mom calling me. I looked up at the guy who was still leaned up on my mom's car.

"Excuse me I have to take this." I tell him as I click the answer button on my phone.

"Yes mommy?" I answered the phone.

"Patty shop move?" She asked me and I chuckled.

"No mommy, I'm about to drive out now." I tell her.

"Hurry up, your father is on his way home and I don't need an argument tonight about your safety." She says with a sigh.

Taking a deep breath I told her I would be home soon and hung up.

Mr man was still here and I looked at him briefly before starting up the car. He quickly leaned off the car and stood up.

"So, I have to get going now. Thanks again for the patties though." I tell him.

He was looking at me strangely and I was thrown off by it.

"Are you okay?" I asked him. I don't even know why I did that when I should be heading home.

"How old are you? You underage?" He ask me suddenly and I drew my head back, skinning up my face.

A what could a cause this now?

"No. I'm not." I tell him and he doesn't seem convinced.

"Suh how yuh mother a call yuh a bad yuh up suh? You sure you're over 18?" He says. I could tell he heard my mom over the phone, she tends to be tone deaf sometimes.

I laughed slightly and shook my head.

"I have her car and I wasn't supposed to be gone so long. She just got worried." I explain. Why am I explaining myself to this stranger?