Chapter 9

Isaiah

Being away from Jamaica for the past week had been such a difficult feat. For the first time in a long time, being in my LA studio was not fulfilling.

I pressed the right buttons and turned the right dials but it was all monotonous.

I wasn't there mentally.

At nights I would lay in my bed and listen to her sing. Her voice has become a background track for my dreams.

My restful dreams.

I was happy as hell yesterday when I got the nod from the label Execs on the album I was working on. They were good with what I submitted and now my end in the production was done.

I was free to come back and watch Grace shell dung this seafood pasta.

"Is it good?" I asked with a chuckle as she slurped the pasta from off the fork.

She blushed and hid her face making me smile.

"Yuh a blush?" I asked and she ducked her head some more.

I shook my head and took a bite of my Jerk Chicken.

"Anyways, you didn't tell me how the project went."
She said

A clear attempt at steering the conversation away from her. I don't mind though, I love talking to her about my days. It's like therapy.

"I'm here with you now so what that mean?" I asked and she smiled a little.

"They loved it?" She asked, the obvious curiosity eating her up.

I nod. It was exactly what they wanted from me apparently.

"Suh why you don't seem excited?" She pressed and I sighed loudly.

How me ago even explain this to her.

I've been an international R&B producer for the last 5 years, it just seem weird that I want to change that now. I'm already established myself in that genre. My label has literally drawn a box around my craft.

"I'm not excited. This project was a major struggle for me to work on Grace. It's like the message felt crass, the Melodie's were painful to listen to and no matter how many times I readjusted the track, it just never felt right." I broke it down for her as simple as I could.

She looked pensive and her eyes looked like they were in a daze.

I watched her carefully as she stared blankly in front of her.

I'm not sure if she is okay or not so I call out her name.

Her eyes snapped up to me at my call. Her eyes were intense yet blank and I could tell that she was not seeing me.

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  Her voice came out monotonously like she was reading from script.

I was confused.

Soon after she repeated the same thing "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" and there I knew it was a message in some form.