EIGHTEEN|THE SWEETEST THING

NEW CHARACTER(S) ALERT

****

The pounding against my bedroom door was relentless, but luckily I wasn't annoyed by the disturbance since my ears were trained to cancel it out after the second round, meaning this instance was not a first.

For the last two weeks, Maya began harassing me around 9:30 a.m., a time she deems ideal to officially awaken and start my day. So if anything, I was a bit shocked that she began her charades two hours later than usual. Aside from my ears, my body was also automated to stir around that time therefore I had been lying in bed staring at the empty bottles of water strewn across the floor for a while now.

Who knew that the condensation on glass could be so entertaining.

"Tatum Siobahn Bryant! It's time to get the fuck up!" Maya yelled from the other side of the door. Why she sounded like she was shouting through a tunnel, I couldn't know. "Either you open this door or I'm coming in."

I didn't flinch. She made a habit of coming in against my wishes anyway.

"I'm serious! I gave you some extra time to sleep, but it's Saturday," she paused to see if I'd react. "The day that the good Lord has made."

"Go away, Maya."

"Oh, so you aren't dead?" she sassed back, barging into my room with no regard as I presumed. The weight of her body plunged into my mattress and remained consistent as she jumped up and down, continuing to terrorize me with the volume of her voice. "Like I was saying, today is the day that the good Lord has made. It is your 27th birthday and you're alive to see it. So get up, do your little morning yoga - meditation routine to get your mind right, wash your ass, run a comb through your hair and let's go!" She clapped loudly to rev me up but it was useless.

It was definitely September 5th – the day after Bey Day aka when Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter graced this inferior world with her presence – also when I was born. And for the first time in my life, I could care less. The weight of my existence literally being in vain was still heavy on my spirit, so celebrating this day felt...I don't know.

What I did know was that I had no desire to get up from this bed and search for enough energy that'll carry me throughout a day of activities I just knew Maya had planned, let alone to shower. I only wanted to see how many more bubbles could form inside another Mountain Valley.

Maybe five under a minute? Yeah.

The movement behind me abruptly stopped. "Are you ready to get moving yet?"

"No, so go away." I wasn't begging, more like a warning. "Now."

"Woah there, attitude," Maya muttered before yanking the duvet from over my body.

My legs, all the way up to my thighs were completely exposed and because my shorts had risen into damn near a wedgie, so was the bottom of my ass. The warm air filling the room to its brim brushed against my dry skin creating such an unpleasant combination that I wish I were numb to.