THREE |GET IN THE WAY

"I cannot believe you!"

My brain was fixated on perfecting my bun, making sure all the split ends of my braids were secured underneath the tightness of my hair tie, when Maya did it. She attempted to elbow my arm but missed it by some centimeters and instead stuck her thorny bone right into my side, and rather aggressively. Almost as if the words I spoke warranted being physically abused.

We had jogged through and around St. Nicholas Park thirty minutes prior, side by side, discussing our plans for the day. All while dressed in our most comfortable attire, nothing but the usual Nike Dri-fit leggings, crop top or sports bra, mixed with a pair of running shoes. Would you believe this was the first time we were taking a break? And now really a break for me to curse her ass out and not to breathe as I originally intended.

"Ouch, bitch!" I hissed as my eyes shot over to Maya and captured her contorting her lips apologetically. "You're a psychopath."

"Didn't even hurt that much," she mumbled, keeping her attention locked to the other bodies passing by. Just guilty. "Anyways, like I was saying. I cannot believe you didn't tell me you were actively on a dating app."

"That's because I haven't been active. Not until I was intrigued, at least."

"Okay, Ms. Intrigued," she mocked. "Tell me more about this mystery man."

"There's nothing much to tell," I said as my arms fell to my hips. I lifted my foot to my butt and cuffed my shoes into my palm, holding the stance as my quads began to stretch. "He's educated, into the arts, apparently he is a Computer Systems Analyst and extremely attractive."

"Now what the hell is a Computer Systems Analyst?"

Once again I shrugged then switched sides, repeating the same stretch as before. "They study these major company's computer systems and design solutions to help them operate more efficiently and effectively."

"Did he drop that brochure explanation in the middle of a conversation?" Maya's brow arched as the rest of her face morphed into a frown. "What a narcissist."

"Actually, I googled it."              

"Oh," she muttered as I released my foot to the ground and in return leaned forward into a low lunge. "Weirdo."

"Like you've never googled before."         

"A person I'm dating? Not at all," she dully disclosed. My lips curled up in disagreement as I stood up straight, then pressed onto the tips of my toes. My arms ascended to the sky as my fingertips flexed like I were trying to part the clouds, and then there was Maya. She decided to opt out of our cool down session and instead popped a squat on the bench a few steps away. "How long has this little thing been going on, hm?"

"Okay, so let's get some things straight. We're not dating, so not the same case. Also," I continued my list as I rooted my feet then eased into another lunge. "We've only been exchanging messages with each other for a week now and it's sporadic at that. I'm merely entertained, nothing more. And my third point,"

"What's your definition of sporadic?" she challenged, crossing her leg over her thigh and her arms across her chest.

"Really?"

"Girl, I'm just saying," she smirked. "You like to be modest when divulging the details of your self-proclaimed nonexistent love life and I'm supposed to be your best friend. We've been in this thing together since before puberty. I'm not understanding why you like to be so secretive with me, of all people."

"Here we go," I blew out.

"Yeah, here we go," she shot back. "You don't trust me or something?"

"What? No," I rose up and placed my hands on the small of my back and exhaled deeply as Maya waited. "I don't trust these men and I don't want to be that girl, or better yet, that woman who gets her hopes up over a guy who will probably be a stranger come next week. It's a waste of time and energy for the both of us"