•~chapter eighteen: sports festival~•

Things were very lively on one beautiful day at Kimetsu Private High. Because, it was time to kick off...

"...the 23rd Kimetsu Private High Sports Festival!"

This announcement was met by choruses and waves upon waves of loud cheering. Sounds of chanting had erupted all over the field, as every single student wanted to give their own class the victory for today.

However, the loudest cheer came from class 2-B...Tanjiro and Kanao's class.

"VICTORY FOR OUR GODDESS!" was their continuous battle cry. Kanao jolted and got scared at the first time that they shouted this, attracting Tanjiro's attention.

As Tanjiro walked over to her, Inosuke and Zenitsu suddenly popped out of nowhere, startling them both.

"My loyal disciples! It's the school sports festival! So quit standing around and get yourselves excited! he shouted. Zenitsu slapped his hand onto his face, as he couldn't take it with Inosuke's embarrassing behavior.

But then, another voice jolted them all from what they were doing in that very moment.

"Ah, Inosuke Hashibira! Long time no see...right now, I'd estimate your temperature to be...39.2 degrees, no?"

Kanao, Tanjiro, Inosuke, and Zenitsu's turned around to see a guy. His black hair was tied in a low ponytail, and he was waving merrily at the group.

"Hey! It's my disciple, Monterio! Glad to see you're doing well!" Inosuke called out.

'Monterio' walked over to their group of friends. All the while, Tanjiro, Kanao, and Zenitsu were wondering, Who's that?

Monterio walked over to Kanao and placed his hand on her shoulder. At this sudden physical contact, Kanao jolted, and she got scared because Monterio was way too close to her for her liking.

"You must be Tsuyuri Kanao. I'm Takagi Monterio, from year three." he said. "Your class is about 41.5 degrees hot...which is pretty enthusiastic." he continued, flicking his fingers. He seemed annoyed because Kanao didn't acknowledge him, and she didn't speak to him.

Tanjiro and Zenitsu were both confused at this previous statement of Monterio's.

"But you...you're pretty cool. I'd say, 16.9 degrees." he muttered to Kanao. "You're incredibly nippy."

Nippy?! Tanjiro thought in annoyance.

"Don't be a drag on your class! See ya later!" he said, ending with another snap of the fingers.

Tanjiro noticed that Zenitsu had disappeared from beside him, and he whirled around to try and find the blonde. Tanjiro finally saw Zenitsu, standing with the rest of class 2-B...and he was holding a bat in his hand.

"Who was that guy?" he asked, slapping the bat into his palm. "Touching Kanao~san in such a bad way and upsetting everyone deserves death!"

He turned to the rest of the class, and he shouted, "VICTORY OR DEATH!" Meanwhile, Tanjiro looked at Kanao, who was trembling.

"L-let's just do our ordinary best." Tanjiro mumbled, receiving a shaky nod from Kanao.

An announcement from the MC suddenly crackled to life over the speakers. "Make your way to your classes! We're going to start with the exercises! Ten points will be awarded to the most beautiful class from the vice principal!"

As the classes began doing their exercises, the Vice Principal immediately began surveying each and every class, with an especially hardened gaze.

There are many beautiful girls working hard in this crowd...but their movements aren't the sharpest, I'd say. she thought. Some of the boys' movements are okay too, I guess...but I'd have to award the...the...