•~chapter thirty-seven: groups for the field trip~•

"Today, we're going to start deciding the groups for the field trip!"

Kanae's announcement was drowned out by the cheers that escaped her students' mouths.

However, there was one person who remained silent while her peers happily chattered away. It was Kanao.

She looked over at Tanjiro's desk, where he was engaged in a lively conversation with Zenitsu and Inosuke.

"So, are you two excited for the field trip to...Kyoto?!" Zenitsu exclaimed, his sparkling eyes bouncing back and forth from Inosuke to Tanjiro.

Tanjiro couldn't help but release a light chuckle as he said, "I'm excited, but I didn't know that you would be so excited to go, Zenitsu."

That was when Zenitsu shoved a wagging finger in Tanjiro's face.

"Tsk, tsk," said Zenitsu. "Tanjiro, you're way off the mark here...for going on a trip is not about where you're going, it's about who you're going with."

"But the historical aspects are nice too...the old buildings, like the shrines, temples, and the five stories pagoda..." Tanjiro mumbled, going wistfully off into a rambling daydream. Meanwhile, Zenitsu's eyes had stopped sparkling and Inosuke had walked away, yawning. It was pretty clear that neither of them were interested in what Tanjiro was saying.

After Tanjiro had snapped out of his daydream, he turned over to when Kanao sat and he asked, "Is there any place in particular that you would like to go, Kanao?"

For a while, Kanao didn't respond. Only when Tanjiro called her name, did she look up again.

I'm sorry, what were you saying? she wrote. Tanjiro repeated his question to her, and she wrote, Well, I would like to go to the game center again...

Tanjiro sweatdropped, as it was obvious that Kanao had misunderstood his question. "Er...I was wondering where you wanted to go in Kyoto, specifically."

Kanao jolted and blushed. She wrote, I want to go to the silver pavilion.

"Oh, that is a great choice." Tanjiro said, beginning to ramble again. He only shut up when Inosuke came over and told him he sounded like a grandpa.

Excuse me for a bit. Kanao suddenly wrote, as she got up from her seat.

"...okay," Tanjiro said, feeling unsettled as he watched Kanao's petite figure leave the classroom.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Towards the end of the day, Kanao, Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke were walking down the side of the street.

"I can't wait to go back to Kyoto!" Zenitsu exclaimed happily, referring to his middle school field trip. "The tofu there...I don't know how and why, but it tasted more delicious than the ones that we have here!"

Inosuke and Zenitsu didn't agree on much, but Inosuke was hanging on to Zenitsu's every word as he discussed the tofu from Kyoto.

Tanjiro turned to Kanao as they continued walking down the street. "Where did you go for your middle school field trip, Kanao?"

I went to Kyoto. Kanao wrote.

Zenitsu noticed this and he exclaimed, "Oh, so this will be a second time for you, Kanao?"

Kanao nodded.

The group continued walking for a while, until they separated ways at a fork in the road, with Zenitsu and Inosuke heading one way and Tanjiro and Kanao going the other.