Confused feelings

Mel rang the doorbell and waited for one of her sisters to open the door before she could fall into their arms and cry her heart out. It was almost lunchtime. Mel wondered if her sisters had begun lunch without her. But just then Kylie opened the door and her smiling face turned confused as she took in Mel's tear-stained face and eyes which were red from crying all the way here on the bus. Kylie seemed to understand what had happened as she put her arms around Mel gave her a huge hug.

She took Mel inside and shut the door behind her and called for Kathy and Bessy. They emerged out of the kitchen and as soon as they saw Mel, they embraced her with warm hugs. They sat down on the couch and waited for Mel to tell what she wanted to. 

There was this unconditional and unbreakable bond between these sisters. They always shared everything with one another and helped each other through rough times since they had all been orphaned. They always found comfort with each other and knew that, come what may their first priorities would be each other only.

Mel sobbed hysterically on Bessy's shoulder. "He...he....had been....cheating on me......but..but" she cried. "He was....acc...accusing me....of.....cheating.....I should..have known....that he....never ..actually cared about me..ee...ee"

"Shh...shh...Mel. You know that if you and Aaron were meant to be, none of this would have ever happened. All this just proves that there is something better in store for you. There is no use in dwelling in the past. Forget about him and move on." advised Kathy.

"Yeah. Mel you're a strong girl. You know what's right for you and what's not. And don't forget, life's not a fairytale in which your first and last love are the same." said Kylie.

"Thanks. I just thought that.....me and Aaron were made for each other. It never occurred to me that he could cheat on me. And what's more he was accusing me of cheating on him with Liam!!" said Mel.

"Hey that reminds me. Liam had called earlier. He wanted to apologize for the article." said Kathy. 

"I think you should call him back." said Bessy. 

"Alright I'll talk to him. Did you guys have your lunch?"

"We just started. Come and join. You can call him later." said Bessy.

The girls had their lunch which was buffalo chicken panini and chocolate banana smoothies deliciously made by Kathy. After finishing their lunch Bess and Kylie left for some voluntary work at the library. As Kathy started washing the dishes Mel went to call Liam.

"Hello?"

"Hey. Its Melissa. Is it Liam?"

"Yeah its me. Mel I'm so sorry about the article. I'm so sorry. This kind of stuff is totally out of our hands. Even we are victims. I should have warned you. I'm really sorry"

"Whoa slow down. I'm not mad at you. Why are you apologizing?" asked Mel.

"Its just that. We guys are used to this kind of stuff. We should have warned you all too." said Liam.

"Well we were really shocked. But I guess we understand." said Mel.

"That's good to know. So.....Kathy told me you were on a date. How was it?"

"It was....um...not...so good."

"Why, what happened?" asked Liam concerned.

"We broke up."

Liams mouth opened in shock. Then suddenly "Oh no. Please tell me it wasn't because of the article."

"Um not technically. It...its quite....uhh......hey why don't you come over?" Mel asked suddenly. She herself was quite surprised.

"Uhhh yeah sure. I'll be there in a few."

"K. Bye."

"Bye."

Mel banged down the phone and ran to the kitchen. "I just invited Liam over." she panted. "What? Why?" asked Kathy. "I don't know we were just talking and all of a sudden I invited him over." replied Mel. "Oh well then....I was actually on my way to Lilly's. You think you'd be okay on your own?" asked Kathy. "Yeah I'll be fine." said Mel drawing in a long breath. Kathy looked at her for a long time before she wiped her hands on the cloth and went upstairs.

Mel leaned against the kitchen door and looked up at the ceiling. She had just broken up with her boyfriend and now she was inviting the guy, with whom she had been accused of cheating, to her home. Of course she wasn't having any wrong intentions, but this was quite weird.

Kathy came down the stairs and kissed Mel and told her goodbye and left. She switched on the T.V as she waited for Liam. After a few minutes Liam arrived. She led him into the living room.

"So.....whats up?" she asked him.

"Nothing much. We just spoke to Simon about the article. He said he'd take care of it. "

There was an awkward silence.

"Anyway you tell me what happened. Why did you and your boyfriend break-up?"

Mel sighed. "He first accused me of cheating, after you know reading the article. But then I found out that HE had been cheating on me. And....he...."

"Hey hey don't cry. He was a jerk anyway. Don't worry you'll find someone better." consoled Liam while hugging her.

Mel put her head on his shoulder. She could smell his cologne and, boy he smelled good. Even better than Aaron. She inhaled his scent and oddly she felt quite comfortable. She looked up at him and she blushed when she saw that even he was looking at her. His eyes were a warm brown and she could feel them looking deep into her soul. His lips looked so soft and were a light pink. She unconciously moved her face closer to his eyes. His face too moved closer to hers. Both their eyes closed. When their noses touched, Mel suddenly opened her eyes and jerked away. Liams eyes had a shocked expression. He stood up immediately and said "I'm sorry sorry sorry. I'm really sorry. I...I should leave."

"No no I'm sorry. You don't have to leave." said Mel, searching for an excuse to make him stay. "Kathy made paninis for lunch. I'll get some for you." she said and went inside the kitchen.

She put her hands on the counter and took deep breaths. She couldn't believe she had almost kissed Liam. She couldn't wait for her sisters to come home. She needed to tell them everything she felt and get some advice.

She took out the paninis leftover from lunch and heated them. She then kept them on a plate and took them to Liam. 

"Hmm those smell good." said Liam smiling. He began eating the paninis while they made small talk. After finishing the paninis, Liam said "Kathy makes really good paninis. I'll tell Niall about them." Mel laughed "Yeah sure tell him. Kathy would love to make some for him." Liam laughed along with her. "I guess I should leave now." he said. "Okay. I had really good time with you. Thanks." said Mel.

She walked him to the door. "Goodbye Melissa. I'll see you later."

"Bye Liam."

After closing the door behind him, Mel leaned against the door. She hadn't been lying when she had said that she had had a good time. Wow, she should hang out with Liam more often.