Chapter 10

1) Mozzarella balls

2) Breaded parmesan chicken

3) Spinach and potato fritatas

4) Chocolate oat slices

Mel looked at the list Kathy had stuck on the overhead cupboard. 

"Whoa. I don't think we'll be able to eat for days after tonight's dinner!" said Mel as Kathy chopped away at the onions.

"Scientifically, that's not possible. Now please help me cut the vegetables and call your sisters too." said Kathy, not looking up from the chopping board.

Mel called Bessy and Kylie into the kitchen. "Bessy cut the tomatoes for me please. And once you're done start mincing the spinach. Kylie please prepare the chicken. And Mel grate the cheese and then please grind the pepper." said Kathy giving orders.

"Guys..."Mel started. But she was interrupted by Bessy, "Its gonna be a real treat tonight!! I can't wait!"

"I know. But there's......" Mel was interrupted by Kylie this time "What's the chicken dish?"

"Breaded parmesan chicken. Now guys can you please......." Yet again Mel was interrupted. This time by Kathy, "Can you pass me the potatoes, Bess?" Bess replied "Yeah sure. Shall I....."

" I THINK I'M IN LOVE WITH LIAM!!" This time Mel interrupted them.

"What did you just say?" asked Kathy, turning around.

"I said, I think I'm in love with Liam." said Mel slowly, blushing.

"Oh Mel!! Did you tell him? Is that why you had him over today? So that you could tell him how you felt?" asked Kylie excitedly.

"No I didn't tell him anything. He was just cheering me up cuz I had been through a break-up. And......we..kinda.....almoooost......" drawled Mel.

"Almooost??" drawled others too, in unison.

"Almost kissed." said Mel.

Kathy's mouth opened in shock, while Kylie and Bessy jumped around screaming "I knew it! I knew it! I knew she had a crush on him!"

"No.....no its not.....its not" stammered Mel.

Kathy came in front of Mel and asked "Mel be honest. Do you have a crush on Liam?"

"I don't know. I felt something when we were close. But then I jerked away." replied Mel.

"You idiot. You should have kissed him!" said Kylie. Mel looked at her, sighed and turned back to Kathy. "I think I may have feelings for him. But.....I'm not ready for a relationship." said Mel. "I can understand that. Don't rush yourself." advised Kathy. "Yeah, but don't make him think that you don't care. Try to find out if he likes you too." said Bessy. "Hmm okay." said Mel. "Alright now, everybody back to work." With that they all returned to their respective work, and the only sound to be heard was the cutting of the knives and the sissling sounds of frying.

By 7.30, all the dishes were prepared. And in large amounts too. Dinner for ten people with huge appetites was as good as a dinner for 20 or so. Kathy began setting the table while the others went to get ready. They had only 6 chairs with them. Four people would have to adjust. And those four people would be the girls, excluding Eleanor, thought Kathy. She wanted to make her guests feel comfortable. She was also worried about what they would think of the food. It had been a long time since she had prepared a special dinner. She also didn't want to disappoint Niall, who apparently was having a very good opinion of her culinary skills. 

Kathy thought about what Mel had said earlier. It was totally obvious that Mel was falling for Liam, and she wondered if she felt something for Niall. He was sweet and funny, and a total contrast to her previous boyfriend, Andrew. Andrew was quite a hothead. He always found some way or the other to put Kathy down and always blamed her for any problem that took place. Andrew too had seemed sweet in the beginning, but Kathy couldn't imagine Niall getting angry about anything. Of course she didn't know much about him, who knows how he would turn out. Only time can say......