Chapter 2

Sitting in front of the mirror and staring at her own reflection, lakshmana was braiding her hair, when Sambh entered. He looked at her for a brief moment and settled on the couch in the balcony. After a long tiring day, he loved sitting in the balcony and breathing fresh air. Silence prevailed in the chamber, he missed those nights that he and lakshmana had spend talking and giggling, she blabbering all the time and he adoring her as if she was the most beautiful thing in the world. Sighing, he opened his eyes and pulled out a bansuri from a drawer, he was nothing in comparison to his father, but was learning to play the instrument.

He closed his eyes and began to blow slowly while his fingers danced gracefully on the holes, creating heartwarming music. Lakshmana shifted her gaze towards him, her eyes overflowing with all the love she had for him with a small serene smile. She leaned on the wall, her eyes closed, the tunes of his bansuri calming her heart. Sambh completed the tune he was playing and opened his eyes with a content smile. On finding lakshmana leaning on the wall with closed his, he called her twice to wake her up but no reply came from her, he nodded fondly knowing that she had slept while listening to his tunes.

It had been the same since past two months, he would play the flute to calm the chaos in her heart and mind. She would have panic attacks and nightmares after returning from hastinapur and the tunes of flute would calm her. He picked her in his arms and layed her on the bed, pulling the duvet till her neck. He rocked her head gently and layed on a nearby couch, with a sad smile, his hopes crushed yet again.

After returning from hastinapur, lakshmana had asked some time from him to recover from the mental and emotional trauma and he had agreed with a smile. He never forced her for anything and let her be in solitude whenever she asked for, he would try to stay a bit away from her as he feared, what if he says something wrong and it hurts her more! Motherly love of Jambvati and all the care and attention of his siblings was definitely helping her recover. He was trying to help but passively, he was sure someday she would be perfectly fine and they would the same they were before the war.

He sighed and pinched his eyes to stop the tears that threatened to roll down. Looking at her calm face glowing in the light of diya he closed his eyes, drifting in slumber.
************************************
Five year old lakshmana was standing in the balcony of palace in Karna's arms, lakshman was in Supriya's arms who was wiping her tears continuosly. In the hall in front of them, a feast was organised for Brahmins and Suyodhan along with Ashwathha was serving them. "Kakashree, why is this feast organised?" Lakshmana asked karna, who had a sullen expression on his face, "Because today is your and lakshman's birthday" he replied forcing a smile on his face.

"Then why is Supriya maa crying? " Supriya snapped her head towards her and quickly wiped her tears, "Yes maa why are you crying? Last year also on our birthday a feast was organised and after that, you, Vrushali maa, Gandhari pitamahi , Indumati kaki were crying. Kunti pitamahi had also came from Indraprastha" lakshman asked. "Because your mother, bhanumati also died today, years ago" Karna replied gulping, wondering how the kids would react. But, lakshmana just tightened her hold on his shoulder and lowered her gaze, while lakshman kept looking at his sister, squeezing her hand.

"Is that the reason, I heard some dasis say, I killed my mother?" Lakshmana asked her eyes filled with tears. "Who dared to say so about my kids!" They heard Suyodhan, gritting his teeth in anger. Lakshmana and lakshman jumped down and ran to hug him, he held them close kissing their foreheads, "You both are my blessings, the reason I am alive, understood?" . There was a black out and then lakshmana saw herself stabbing her brother and father with a dagger as they lay lifeless on the land of kurukshetra. They were pleading her to stop but she was stabbing them in heart continuosly. ' Firstly you killed your mother, then your brother and then your father too...'

Lakshmana sprang up in her bed, panting, sweating and trembling. Wiping her tears, she gulped down water from the pitcher and held her head tightly in her palms, shutting down all negative inner voices. After coming back in her senses, she moved her gaze towards the window and then at the couch on which Sambh would sleep, he wasn't there. It wasn't sunrise yet, means Sambh had went for his daily practice. "Rajnandini, you woke up early today? Wait, I would prepare the bath for you" Bhargavi said entering the chamber. But lakshmana held her and hugged her waist, letting tears roll down her cheeks.

I know I am the one who asked for some time to recover, but does that mean that he would maintain so much distance from me? I fail to understand why is he behaving like this! She wiped her tears and separated from Bhargavi, who rocked her head and went inside to prepare the bath for her. Lakshmana prayed to bhoomi Devi before stepping on the ground and was walking towards the bathroom, when someone hugged her from behind and she heard a familiar chuckle. Her eyebrows raised in amusement and a huge smile spread on her lips as she recognised the person.

"Uttari!!" She turned and hugged her best friend, teary eyed. "How are you sakhi?" The young lady clad in white, devoid of any saubhagya chinh asked, "All fine. You?" Lakshmana asked. "Me too" Uttara replied, though her dark circles and pale figure told the opposite. Lakshmana made her sit on the bed, the two ladies seemed happy after a long time in each other's company, forgetting the atrocities fate had done to them. "How is my neice or nephew and what made you come here, all of sudden?" Lakshmana asked.

"I. I made her come here" Suthanu answered from the door. "My Thani!" Lakshmana gasped in joy and ran down the stairs of the raised platform on which her bed was placed, the sisters engulfing each other in a bone cracking hug. "I missed you  so much Didi! " Suthanu said separating from the hug and lakshmana kissed her forehead. "Now tell me, what made you both come here?" Lakshmana asked making Suthanu sit in between her and Uttara. "Mani, Thanu jiji and bhanu bhrata told matashree and pitashree about their love and both families agreed. And now-" Uttara said happily but was cut by Suthanu.

"And now we are here for OUR WEDDING!" Suthanu said with her chin high and eyes brimming with happiness. Lakshmana beamed at her younger sister, muttering a silent prayer to keep her sister always happy as she is now and may she get all the happiness she deserves. "I am so happy for you Thani. Heartous congratulations" she cupped Suthanu's cheeks. "Rajnandini your bath is ready" a dasi announced. "Didi! You didn't had your bath till now! Stay sway from me" Suthanu teased making faces, lakshmana whined and hit Suthanu's arm playfully and the three ladies burst into laughter.
************************************
Hey, my lovely readers, the next part is here.
Hope you liked reading this part, let me know through your comments, they are much important for me ❤️.