Chapter 5

Morning brought lots of hustle bustle in Rukmini's palace of bet Dwarka, haldi ceremony of Suthanu was going to be held the next evening. All the royal ladies were getting their palms stained with alta. Though lakshmana had initially refused, stating that how can she paint her palms with alta if her best friend can't do it anymore. But being bride's sister and after insistence from Valandhara and Subhadra, she agreed.

Lakshmana gazed affectionately at Suthanu who was smiling and grinning as her friends teased her and the woman drawing mehndi on her hand wrote Bhanu's name on her palms. "Rajnandini, whose name should I write on your hand?" one of the artists asked lakshmana, breaking her thoughts. "Ye bhi koi puchne wali baat hai! Write Rajkumar Sambh's name, huh rajkumari !" Bhargavi answered tickling lakshmana. "Bhargavi! Why are you teasing me? It's thanu's wedding not mine! You write.. write Arya's name" lakshmana hit Bhargavi 's arm and forwarded her palm to the artist.

Her eyes travelled to Sambh, who was having some conversation with Purujit and stayed there, carving a small smile on her face. Within few seconds, as if sensing her gaze , Sambh turned towards her, making their gazes meet. For a moment all the chaos in the chamber seemed inexistent to them as their eyes bore into each other's. Lakshmana averted her gaze and shifted her attention to the Alta design that was being painted on her palms, her cheeks turned in subtle shades of crimson, like a girl who is new to the feeling of love. "Ehm Ehm... You were telling me that it's not your wedding, but look now who is blushing like a newly wed" Bhargavi teased again. Lakshmana's both palms were being painted, so she just rolled her eyes playfully and gestured Bhargavi to keep quiet.

Suthanu's sniffles caught their attention and lakshmana hurried towards her. Devika and Draupadi patting her head lovingly, Subhadra was offering a glass of water while Niramitra and Suhotra were trying to make her smile, though their eyes were too filled with tears. Lakshmana smiled to herself and neared the crowd. Suthanu's arms encircled her waist immediately and her sniffles increased, lakshmana wiped her own tears with the back of her palms "Stop crying Thani. It's the beginning of a new phase of your life. It should be embraced with smiles not tears' she spoke rubbing Suthanu's back with her forearms as her palms were still wet with Alta.

"We were trying to explain her the same, but her tears weren't stopping. Itne bhaiyon ki ladli behen hai na" subhadra said with a smile. Lakshmana glanced at her and other pandavpatnis, though they were smiling their eyes failed to hide the fact that they all missed their dead relatives, just like her.

Flashes of her own wedding ran in front of lakshmana's eyes. The huge smile on her father's face, her brothers treating her like she was a goddess, the love she received from the citizens! Her eyes watered involuntarily, she was missing her dead family. She excused herself with a fake smile before more tears made way down her cheeks and hurried out of the chamber. She stood leaning her back on the wall, breathing heavily and continuously wiping her tears with the back of her hand.

She was breathing heavily, her head felt heavy, her palms and forehead were sweating and body was trembling. It was happening again, third time in past two months, she felt helpless. I am an orphan, I killed my mother, brothers, father everyone! I am a liability on my martial family. Negative thoughts engulfed her mind and she shut her eyes tightly to control herself. A pair of palms held her shoulders firmly, "Breath Mana breath. Take deep breaths. Everything is okay, stay calm" she followed what the voice said and felt a little better. She slowly opened her eyes and her black orbs met this brown ones. Sambh passed her an assuring smile and she too reciprocated it.

She tried to wipe her tears with the back of her palms, but the Alta had spread all over her hands due to sweating. She clicked her tongue and turned to call Bhargavi to help her, but Sambh held her wrist and turned her towards him. His fingers glided over her cheeks to wipe her tears and her gaze lowered immediately. "Thank you" she murmured and turned to walk inside the hall. "I am your ardhang, your arya. Your every pain is mine and my every happiness is yours" his voice made her stop. She passed him a small smile and walked back inside. No relation stays forever. Husband, mother, father no relation stays forever with us. No relation! I am just a burden on your nothing else.
She said to herself and walked in.
----------------------------------------------------------

"Lakshmana putri, tomorrow morning we have to go with the groom's dress and jwellery, please get them checked before tomorrow, okay?" Valandhara asked in her ever sweet tone and lakshmana nodded in a yes. She was walking through the corridor and giving some instructions to Bhargavi while someone closed her eyes from behind. She turned in a swift motion and there stood a young smiling princess in front of her, lakshmana remembered seeing her but can't recall exactly when. "Ketaki? Kalinga princess?" She was hesitantly.

"Yes jiji!" Ketaki engulfed her in a hug and lakshmana rocked her hair lightly. What happened to her! Her smile looks too faded and she had lost so much of weight, lakshmana thought to herself. "How are you and how is everyone back home? You have turned so thin, why so?" Lakshmana asked and the already small smile on ketaki's face disappeared. "Jiji, my brothers and father died in the kurukshetra war. We are left alone, my mata is mostly bed ridden. She deliberately sent me here so that I can get some change.  But let's..... Let's not talk about it now" she shook her head waving off all negative thoughts, "You tell me, how are you? How is jijashree?" She asked and lakshmana caressed her face lovingly. 

"Aree Rajkumari Ketaki! Pranipat" Suthanu joined her palms in courtesy and Ketaki reciprocated the same. "Ketaki, go and take some rest now, we would meet during dinner, Bhargavi would help you reach guest chambers" lakshmana said with her usual small smile. "Jiji, your smile and shine in your eyes seems lost" Ketaki said in a low voice. "Ketaki,we have a lot of time to talk about these things, now you go take rest. I also have some works to be done, go" lakshmana answered and Ketaki nodded.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hey, my lovely readers, the next part is here! Hope you all liked reading it.
Do let me know through your comments, they are much important for me ❤️