Chapter 2 | The disappearance

It was after 23 o'clock, almost midnight. ....

Everyone in the phoenix house slept in their beds a long time ago

Everyone in the phoenix house slept in their beds a long time ago. The calm silence was broken only by the sound of a mobile phone ringing, which could be heard coming out of one of the rooms through the door that remained open.

Changze angrily turned on the light next to his bed and reached for his cell phone to answer the call.

"Song Lan. You better have a good reason for calling me so late..." the phoenix said, but was quickly interrupted.

"Sir, I'm very sorry to disturb you at this late hour, but this is very important!" said Song Lan quickly and in a tense voice.

Hearing his voice, Changze immediately regained consciousness and sat up in his bed.

"Then tell me! What is it?" urged Changze impatiently.

"We found another hiding place for the two Wens, but we could not catch them here. From the tracks left here, they must have been here for about half an hour or an hour."

"And where are you now?"

"That's exactly why I called you." Song Lan said ominously.

Wei Changze swallowed nervously. He knew immediately from his friend's voice that Song Lan was going to give him very bad news after this.

"We are in an abandoned house, which is close to your house. ... In the ashes of the extinguished fire that was left behind, we recovered the remains of some photographs. From these, we learned that their target is your ..." - even before Song Lan could finish, he heard a strange, short crackling noise in the background, after which he immediately stopped talking.

But meanwhile, Wei Changze heard the sound of a loud window break coming from downstairs.

"What ... what was that sound?" asked Song Lan surprisedly on the phone, as even he could hear the noise.

"I have to go now ...."

"Sir, wait.." said Song Lan, but his call was then disconnected.

Changze dropped the phone on his bed and left his room, then hurried down the stairs. When he reached the bottom of the stairs, he turned around and went to check the back entrance door. But when Changze got to the living room, he saw a dark shadowy figure standing there.

The man seemed to sense that someone was watching him, turned around and looked straight at the Changze. Then he took off the black mask he was wearing, and even lowered his hood. He wanted to let the old phoenix know who he was dealing with. He wanted the phoenix to remember his face and never forget it.

"Well, well, well. So, the phoenix daddy protects his little nest, huh? .. But then, where's the phoenix mama?" - asked Wen Xu sarcastically. - "But it's not that I care, it's just curiosity." he ended his sentence with an evil smile.