Chapter 11 | Secrets: Power (or more)

As usual, Lan Zhan waited for the phoenix at the lake. But this time he stood much further away from the water than last time, as he did not want to fall into the lake again.

Wei Ying greeted him as he arrived. Lan Zhan greeted Wei Ying with a faint smile, but his face quickly turned serious when he noticed the bandage on the phoenix's hand.

"What happened to your hand?" asked Lan Zhan immediately.

"It's, ... ah, nothing, just,... -" said Wei Ying, hesitantly. He didn't know what to answer.

"Wei Ying, how did you get hurt?" asked Lan Zhan, but this time firmly.

"Just, ... just a little scratch. But Shen Yue insisted on that, that's all." said Wei Ying.

Wei Ying tried to relax, act normal in front of Lan Zhan. He didn't want to tell him the truth, because he suspected that Lan Zhan wouldn't have believed him anyway; that his hand had been burned by a simple rusty padlock.

With great difficulty they tore their eyes away from each other, and then a long silence settled between them. The only thing that broke the awkward silence was a thought, which Wei Ying immediately shared with Lan Zhan to ease the tension.

"I recently mentioned that you might be able to help me exercise my fire power, especially since you have the power of water. ... What do you think about that? Our first practice together. ... Would you like to try it tonight?" asked Wei Ying, but a little cautiously.

"Yes, I would be very happy to help you." said Lan Zhan.

.

.

.

It was around midnight when Wei Ying and Lan Zhan were sure enough to sneak out of their room undisturbed. They got out of the building without any trouble. Wei Ying accompanied the dragon to one of his training places. Far away, opposite one side of the castle, was a small walled courtyard. It was close enough to the lake where Lan Zhan has been waiting for the phoenix for the last few days.

After Wei Ying opened the wooden gate, they both entered. The condition of the wooden gate showed the dragon that the training site had not been visited for several years. But when he entered and looked around, he clearly saw that the place was built specifically for the phoenixes to use and control their fire power. First, the entire courtyard was beautifully paved, and the torches placed in the ground and on the walls were intact and old.

 First, the entire courtyard was beautifully paved, and the torches placed in the ground and on the walls were intact and old

Lan Zhan did not understand the situation. Wei Ying told him that he trained every morning, which took him until noon. But where they were now, the opposite was true. That's why Lan Zhan became suspicious of the phoenix's behaviour. But no matter how much it bothered him, he didn't want to break Wei Ying's enthusiasm with his questions, which Wei Ying showed him then and there, and the way he cheerfully led Lan Zhan there.

Lan Zhan chose instead to leave it to the phoenix to decide what Wei Ying was willing to share with him and what he was not. Lan Zhan was patient for now.