Chapter 14 | The demonic seal

Lan Zhan felt a headache when he woke up. But he didn't bother with that, instead he just looked around and started searching for the phoenix with his eyes. His fear came true: the phoenix was gone.

"Wei Ying!!! .. Wei Ying! Wei Ying, where are you?!!!"

Lan Zhan quickly got to his feet and continued to look for the phoenix. He staggered a little, but walked to where the phoenix had just been standing. The ground was scorched black. His thoughts were only that he was too late, and this time he could not save Wei Ying. He dropped to his knees, head bowed. But then he heard movement, then the dull clanking of chains from inside the building. Lan Zhan looked up, and only then did he notice that the huge door of the building, which seemed to have been open until then, was closed. Lan Zhan stood up with some difficulty, and then he heard a familiar sound.

"Did you hurt Yanli?" came the voice of the phoenix from beyond the door.

Wei Ying's voice was muffled, but loud enough for Lan Zhan to know that Wei Ying was asking this question in anger with someone he was with.

Lan Zhan didn't waste any time, and despite the new dangers, he ran to the ruined gate.

.

.

Wei Ying barely regained consciousness, but he felt the coldness that covered his back and the weight of the chains that pulled his arms down. He still felt a little dizzy and couldn't see very clearly, but even so he knew that the place he was in was the worst place he could be.

As soon as he moved, the chains snapped. The man sitting near him at the burning campfire then turned his eyes towards him. Wei Ying moved again. The man watched the helpless phoenix for a short while, then stood up and walked towards him. He lowered his hood from his head as he stood in front of the phoenix. The smile on his face was dark and fearsome.

"I'm glad you're finally awake. I was beginning to think a stunt like this would weaken you for hours, and we wouldn't have enough time to talk."

"Who are you? And what is this place you brought me to? ...What do you want from me?"

"Oh, too many questions, don't you think? But let's start in order. Well, first of all, the fact that you don't seem to remember me saddens me. ..." - he said, with a slight sadness - "I was expecting that if we met again, we could pick up where we left off several years ago. But now I am disappointed." he turned and took a few steps.

But after some thought, he turned back to the phoenix.

"I understand now. Your father didn't mention anything about me, my family, or your little special ability, did he?"

"Look, I don't know what's going on, or what you're talking about, .. but get to the point, okay? Who are you?" asked Wei Ying again.

"I am Wen Chao, one of Wen Ruohan's sons and the last remaining heir." the demon introduced himself, proudly in front of his prisoner.

Wei Ying's prior suspicions were indeed confirmed. He was kidnapped by a demon, and then he was overwhelmed by another fear.

Wei Ying started to look for the dragon near him, but Ian Zhan was nowhere to be seen.

"Lan Zhan ... Where is he? What have you done with him?" demanded Wei Ying.

"You mean the dragon? Oh, don't ask me that, phoenix. I didn't do anything to him. You were the one who did something to him. When I walked past him, he was not in such good condition."

Then Wei Ying froze. His face turned almost wall-white.

" What ... What ... what do you mean? Is he hurt? Or ...." Wei Ying's voice stopped. The thought that he had hurt Lan Zhan shocked and silenced him.