Chapter 1 - New Meetings

My name is Shuichi Saihara. I am the ultimate detective. I am a student at Hope's Peak Academy. That is what thought. That is what I remembered. That is what I thought my life was.

I am Shuichi Saihara. I am Shuichi Saihara. I am...

I am awake.

Everything is blurry. There are so many sounds, so many bright lights. So many voices. I felt my hand being stroked. Someone is holding my hand. Where am I? Who is with me? What happened to Maki and Himiko? Are they okay?

More people rushed in. They started touching me and putting machines and discussing my "current state." I was so overwhelmed, I still have no idea what's going on.

It felt like hours, yet they were gone before I knew it. I looked over, seeing that the person holding my hand was...

".... Kaede..?"

She smiled at me.

"Hey Shuichi... I'm glad you're awake." she told me.

"W-What's going on...? Where am I...?" I replied.

"You're at the hospital... You woke up after escaping, you're alive. I'm alive. Everyone's alive!"

"Really...? Everyone's okay..?"

"Yeah! You, Maki, and Himiko are the only ones in the hospital. Tenko and Angie are visiting Himiko, and Kaito is visiting Maki. Tsumugi and Kiibo just got out of the hospital a while ago."

"What happened to Kokichi?"

"Well..." she looked away, her expression growing dark. "He was sent to.. sort of a mental health hospital. He couldn't take the fact that everything was fake. Everyone else is okay though; they just need to see if you and the other survivors are mentally stable. Expect many tests for that soon."

I stayed silent. I honestly grew close to Kokichi during the game. I even started to develop feelings for him, but I don't know if he felt the same way for me. But now he's gone..? Why him...?

"Shuichi..?" Kaede asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"S-Sorry, sorry..." I replied. "I'm just... still trying to process everything."

"It's okay, I understand."

"So... did they tell my family that I'm awake...?"

"Yeah... Your uncle came to visit earlier, but he had to go to work. I'm sorry."

"No no, it's okay... He's always working.."

A few minutes later, doctors started coming in. Kaede stayed with me the whole time, yet I was still thinking of the others. More specifically, Kaito. The only thing I've heard about him is that he was visiting Maki. But, is he okay? I can't know for sure. It's not like he would tell anyone if he's not; that's what worries me.

The doctors told me that I need to walk around, just to get my strength back and stuff. So, once they all left, I decided I would. Kaede helped me up off the bed, and she took my arm. We decided that we would just walk around the hallways for a bit; that's what the doctors recommended. We stepped out of the room, and started our "journey."

We started off slow. I couldn't really walk that well, and I had bring along that pole with all the bags and iv's attached. I held that with one hand, and held onto Kaede with the other. I'm not going to lie, I did feel a bit embarrassed. I know that this is normal, but still; it's hard not to be embarrassed.

We kept making our way down the hallway, while she helped me the entire time. Thankfully there weren't many people around, so I wasn't entirely embarrassed. Eventually, we made it to the end of the hallway. There was another hallway connecting to is, leading right.