Chapter 3 - Almost

"You need to go home... your family misses you."

"I can't leave him here..."

"It's been two days. He's not gonna wake up anytime soon."

"You don't know that..."

"Just let me take you home."

"No, Ryoma... I'm sorry... but I promised him I'd stay..."

"You haven't eaten or slept.. and I doubt you've taken a shower."

"He'll wake up soon... He's strong; h-he can do this..."

There was a sigh.

"...... I can't stop you from staying here... but... just call me if you need anything..."

There were footsteps. A door closing. Then silence.

"C-Come on, Shu... I've been staying strong... B-But... It's kind of hard not to cry when the boy you love is in a coma, y-ya know?"

There was a small chuckle. It turned into quiet sobbing.

"As much as I hate not having you here... *sniff* ... A-At least you don't have to see me like this... Y-You don't have to see me being all weak and stuff... That's the last thing I'd want..."

Why am I hearing all of this..? And... Why is my mind so... clear..? I can't... think of anything...

It's time to wake up.

No, not now...

It's time to wake up.

I want to sleep more...

It's time to wake up.

Kaito's not ready yet...

Wake up...

Just a little longer...

Wake up....

Wait until he gets ahold of himself...

Wake up.

I need to-

WAKE UP.

I don't want to let him-

WAKE UP!

But-

WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP!

I-

WAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUPWAKEUP-

"Hh..."

"Wha-.. S-Shuichi?!"

"Nhh..."

"S-Shuichi! W-Wake up! F-Follow the sound of my voice!"

"K-K..."

"C-Come on, Sidekick! Y-You got this!"

I slowly opened my eyes.

"Kai...to...?" I asked.

"Y-You're back! O-Oh my god! S-Shuichi y-you're okay!" he exclaimed.

He hugged me tightly. I still couldn't really process what was happening.

"W-Wha... happen..." I tried to ask.

"Y-You had a panic attack a-and the nurse injected you with some medicine a-and you fell asleep for two days a-and now you're awake a-and...!" he trailed off .

He pulled away from the hug, grabbing my arms. I stared into his eyes. I was finally coming to my senses. He was staring right back at me. Did I distract him from his explanation..?

"I thought I lost you... I waited for you the entire time... I..." he looked away. "I-I love...."

My heart started pounding. Was I his crush? Did he love me? Was he about to confess his love for me? I love him too. There's no denying it anymore. I love you, Kaito Momota. Don't you get it?! Please hear me, please understand! I love you so much! I want to be yours!

"....the fact that you're alive..."

Damn it.