Chapter 7 - Familiar Faces

"Hey.." I greeted him, coming down the stairs. "What did you get?"

"I just got some sandwiches. I hope you like what I got you, but if you don't, you can just have mine!" he cheerfully said.

"Ah, okay..."

"Where should we eat? It's your house, I'm following you!"

"I guess we can just sit in the living room... that way we can watch TV while we eat."

We sat down on the couch, and he sat the bag on the small table.

"You pick first, they've got what's in them on the wrapper." he told me.

Kaito isn't really a picky person. That's good, because I am. I took the sandwiches out and read the ingredients. One of them was perfect; it had exactly everything I liked on it. I had no idea how Kaito managed to do that, but I was happy. I gave him the other sandwich, which he happily took.

"So how'd I do?" he asked.

"Perfect." I said with a smile. "It's actually exactly how I like it!"

"Awesome! Just another flawless victory for 'The Luminary of the Starts' of course!"

I chuckled at his remark. I then grabbed the remote and started flipping through channels. I eventually found some generic sitcom, so I decided to go with that. Kaito seemed to like it, and that was good enough for me. We sat there, eating our sandwiches and watching tv together. As... friends....

You're still going on about this? How pathetic. It's clear how uninterested he is in you.

I looked down. I wish those thoughts would go away. I wish I could cherish these happy moments. But of course my brain always has to make me feel sad.

"You okay?" Kaito asked.

"Ah, yeah... It's nothing.." I said, gathering my trash. I had already finished my sandwich.

"Shuichi... You've been acting kinda weird lately... You can tell me what's wrong, ya know."

"I-I know..." I stood up. "A-And I'm fine..."

I walked into the kitchen, throwing my trash away. I can't let him know what I'm feeling. I can't. He'll hate me if he found out I was in love with him. He just wants to be friends, right? He doesn't love me, who could? There's no way.

"Shuichi."

I turned my back to him.

"I-I'm fine, Kaito-"

He hugged me from behind.

"P-Please stop..." I quietly said.

He didn't listen. He kept hugging me. The truth is, I didn't want him to stop. I wanted him to hold me forever. I gently put my hands on top of his. He responded by grabbing my hands and turning me towards him. I hugged him tightly, burying my face into his well-toned chest.

"I-It's just... a-a lot t-to take in..." I admitted.

"I know... I had to go through it to..." he replied.

"I had a whole life here... And I don't remember any of it... I-It's so scary... a-and on top of that, there are other things bothering me, too..."

"It's okay, Shu... I'll help you get through all of it."

I hugged him tighter. I'm glad he wants to help me. But I can't burden him with all my problems. Especially when he's the cause of one of them. I'm sure he has his own problems.

"WHO THE FUCK IS IN MY HOUSE?!" we heard from the other room.

Kaito quickly looking over, and the sudden loud noise startled me, making me jump. I recognized that voice. My uncle.

"Stay here..." I told him.

"No, Shui-"

"It's my uncle." I cut him off.

I walked out the kitchen and over to towards the entrance. There, I was met with a gun aimed at my face. Only for a few seconds.

"Shuichi?!" my uncle asked, lowering the gun.

"I'm back..!" I replied.

"You're supposed to be at the hospital..."

"I got out... a friend brought me home..."

"Who? Koichi?"

"Er, no... and, his name is Kokichi... I haven't seen him since the game."

"That's not like you at all... that guy was always stuck to you 24/7."

"Huh..? I-I don't remember... I... lost a lot of my memories outside the game..."

"That explains a lot... So, you don't remember anything?"

"Well, I remember the basic things... Just.. not how I used to act and all that.."

"Oh... Well, I'm glad you're back, kid.."

"Thanks... O-Oh, Uhm... I-I hope you don't mind, b-but I brought a friend over..."

I looked back at the kitchen.

"Kaito! Can you come here?" I shouted.

A few seconds later, Kaito walked up beside me.

"This is Kaito... and Kaito, this is my uncle." I introduced.

"Nice to meet you!" Kaito smiled as he extended his hand.

"You too, son." my uncle greeted, shaking Kaito's hand.

We made small talk for a few minutes. However, my uncle said that he had to get back to work and that he only came home to grab his wallet that he forgot. We said our goodbyes, and he left. I turned to Kaito, but his expression wasn't as cheerful as it was a few minutes ago. He seemed... sad...

"Kaito..? Is everything okay..?" I asked.

He looked away from me and paused. Then finally, he spoke.

"Is it true?"

"Huh?" I asked.

"Is it true that you were with Kokichi?"

"I honestly don't remember... and, if I don't, then he probably doesn't either..."

"You don't understand. He wasn't the one we knew. He was... different. Like he remembered everything."

"But... He's gone for a while. He'll get better, and he'll realize I don't remember. He can't force me to be with him."

"But doesn't it feel wrong?"

"Kaito, why are you so caught up about this?"

He went silent.

"..... It's nothin'... I'm going home..." he said, walking towards the door.

"K-Kaito no.." I said, following him.

"Shuichi, please..." he kept walking.

"Just tell me what's wrong..." I kept following.

"I can't talk to you right now..!"

"Why not?"

"It's nothing..!"

"Why is this making you so upset?"

"Just let me leave!"

"You don't even like Kokichi!"

"Shuichi!"

I grabbed his arm.

"Why does knowing that Kokichi may love me bother you so much?!"

He quickly turned to me and grabbed my shoulders.

"BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!"