7

"Aren't I a little too old for you to be calling me cute?" Zhongli stared.

"You're not that old and even if you are, you still look super good for your age," Childe gave a thumbs up. 

Zhongli didn't reply. He kept walking. 

"No response?" Childe wanted to cry. 

"I'm not sure how to respond to that." 

"Right...it's probably really weird to get a compliment from a student..." 

"Weirder than having the student break into my home at night?" 

"I'm not going to live this one down, am I?" 

"I doubt it." 

"Ugh..." Childe sighed. 

"Here it is," Zhongli grabbed the notebook and returned it to the safety of Childe's hands. "I hope it was worth the trouble of potentially getting arrested." 

"Are you going to call the police?" Childe turned pale. 

"Would you fault me for calling the police?" Zhongli stared. "You broke into my home. That is a crime." 

"But I called you cute! Doesn't that balance it out?" Childe's eyes pleaded for redemption. 

"I'm merely teasing," Zhongli chuckled, hiding his smile behind his hand. "This would hurt my reputation more than it would hurt yours. There is a chance the police might not believe that you were the one at fault." 

"What?" 

"A professor, fraternizing with a student in his own home. The situation is less than ideal..." Zhongli gestured between them, once again making Childe aware of the fact he was in little more than a robe. Childe's eyes wandered, wanting to remember every detail of the way Zhongli's unkempt hair hung over his shoulder. He stared at what little of Zhongli's chest was visible, forcing himself to remember the grooves of his skin. 

"Ahem," Zhongli cleared his throat, adjusting his robe. Childe snapped himself out of his daze. "You've gotten what you came for, please leave no-" Zhongli was caught off guard by Childe stepping forward. He grabbed Zhongli's hand and stared deeply into his eyes. 

"You're beautiful." 

"Thank you, I've been told I look good for my age." 

"Well whoever said it was right." 

"Evidentally, only one person has ever said that to me." 

"Really? I'm jealous. I wish I'd thought of that." 

Zhongli chuckled. 

"What? I'm serious," Childe frowned. 

"Jealous of yourself?" Zhongli couldn't help but chuckle a second time. 

"Oh....oh!" Childe remembered his cheesy line from just moments before. "So, I was the one then..." 

"Indeed." 

"There is no point in me taking this back, is there?" Childe sighed, holding up the notebook. "You've already seen the stream..." 

"Don't worry, I really didn't investigate the journal," Zhongli promised. 

"Of course you didn't, you're too nice," Childe smiled awkwardly. "But you already know what the topic is." 

"Already forgotten, there is no need for you to worry." 

"You really are too nice," Childe rubbed the notebook up against the back of his neck. "I love you."

"It would be insensitive to tell you that you're mistaken..." Zhongli cleared his throat. "However..." 

"I really am in love with you," Childe choked, forcing back his tears. "I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable." 

"I'm sure you're aware, that I am your professor, and such feelings are not to be indulged."

"I know..." Childe sighed. "But I want you to know...even though you already do...I wanted to confess properly but messed it all up." 

"There is time for you to perfect it," Zhongli stated. 

"What?" 

"I am your professor now," he held his chin and glanced away. "But I will not always be your professor, Tartaglia, so when the time comes...perhaps you may confess a second time."