10

Childe felt a firm grip on his wrist and turned around to see Zhongli staring at him with what could only be described as unbridled rage. What? 

"What are you doing?" Zhongli seethed. 

"I-" 

"Why would you drop out of school for such a silly reason?! It's ridiculous to throw away your entire future just because you're embarrassed about the events of one night. There is no reason for you to do such a thing!" 

"Wai-" 

"If you're that insistent on not being a student here then I shall be the one to leave the campus. In the meantime," Zhongli snatched the paperwork out of Childe's hands. "I'll be taking thi-" He blinked, confused, staring down at the paperwork. 

"Dr. Morax," Childe said, scratching his cheek, fully embarrassed now. 

Zhongli sunk to the floor, hiding his face in between his knees. He let out a long sigh. "That sneaky little pest..." he mumbled. "This is just paperwork to drop out of one class..."

"Dr. Morax?" Childe squatted down next to him. He glanced around. Since no one was here it should be fine, right? So, he pet Zhongli's hair. It's very soft. "I promise I'm not dropping out. I'm not sure where you got that information but I don't think I could last a day if I couldn't see your lovely face." 

"Such a smooth-talker," Zhongli sighed. 

"I'm definitely willing to wait until I graduate to be with you, don't worry. I haven't even thought about letting anyone sweep me off my feet in that time." 

"You..." Zhongli lifted his face from his knees, a bit concerned. "You don't have any other prospects?" 

"My heart is off the table," Childe announced, determined. "Even if someone were to ask me out right now I would refuse." 

"Oh?" A certain someone appeared beside the two. Both rose to their feet and readjusted their clothing. Ayato grinned, placing his hand over his chest. "Will you go out with me, Childe?" 

"Huh? I...wait, what?" Childe couldn't fathom why the Ayato Kamisato himself would be the one to ask him out. 

"So, you're considering it?" Ayato held his chin, smile never leaving his face. Zhongli cleared his throat, tempted to make his exit. He didn't know the relationship between these two but he wasn't about to stay here and find out. 

"I am not considering it! Everyone and their brother's uncle on this campus already know I'm head over heels for Dr. Morax!" Childe huffed. Realizing Zhongli was still right next to him, it took a few seconds before his face was as red as could be. 

"Well," Zhongli chuckled, "I look forward to your successful graduation," he said, walking away. 

...

Childe had been counting the days till his commencement ceremony. He was ready to walk the stage, greet his professors, and finally be able to confess to Zhongli properly. The hours couldn't pass quickly enough. Zhongli was the one to give the commencement speech and the one to hand him his diploma cover. As the two shook hands, Zhongli offering him his congratulations, Childe couldn't hold back and kissed him right there on the stage in front of all of the graduating students and their family members. And on the live broadcast. 

"Oh my fucking god," Scaramouche facepalmed in the audience. 

"It's kind of cute, actually," Kazuha chuckled. 

"The man is an idiot, but at least he is my dad's idiot," Xiao shrugged. 

"I think this might make the news," Ayato grinned. 

"It's so..." Ayato turned his head to the sniffling blonde beside him. "It's so wholesome," he wiped his eyes and sobbed. "I've been hoping for their happiness from the shadows for so long and," he cried, unable to see the world around him from the tears. 

"Ah, here," Ayato handed him a handkerchief. Leave it to him to have something like that on him. 

"Thank you..." he muttered between sobs.