9

"I can't believe I did that," Zhongli held his forehead and rested his elbows against his desk. He was on campus and regretting every minute of the previous night's actions. "Of all the ways to handle that...why did I go and do that?" It was completely out of character for him but Childe just wouldn't shut up. 

"I need to keep my distance from him," Zhongli verbally announced to himself. The door opened and he sat up in his desk, plastering a polite smile on his face. 

"I heard my roommate's friend did something really weird last night. I'm sorry about that," Xiao apologized and sat down across from the desk. "I don't know why they didn't just wake me up so I could go talk to you for them." 

"Did you not tell them about our relationship?" Zhongli folded his hands and rested them on the desk. "I can understand why you wouldn't have..." 

"It's not that..." Xiao shook his head. "I told them but...I guess I'm just not a reliable enough boyfriend for either of them," Xiao sighed, scratching his neck. "Sorry to bother you with all of this. I just came to apologize for Childe..." 

"Thank you, but you didn't have to." This was actually better for Zhongli. If Xiao and Childe were at least close enough to talk about crushes and things then it wouldn't be unheard of for Childe (a friend of Xiao's) to be seen leaving Zhongli's house (adopted parent of Xiao). He just narrowly escaped that one. 

"Do you...like him?" Xiao scratched his cheek and glanced away, unsure of how to ask this. 

"What makes you say that?" 

"Well, you seem happier when you talk to him than you usually do." 

Xiao and Ningguang both...they'd be the death of Zhongli. 

"You must be imagining things," Zhongli chuckled. "Won't it be awkward for you if I did?" 

"No, I don't think so," Xiao shrugged. "I've got two very nice boyfriends. It's made me realize a couple of things about how painful being alone is. I just want you happy." 

Zhongli's eyes widened slightly. He let out a sigh and leaned back in his chair. 

"I suppose I can't hide anything from you as easily as I could before, hm?" he smiled awkwardly. 

"Childe's dropping out." 

"What?!" Zhongli blurted out.

"He said his feelings for you are too strong so he's throwing away his degree." 

Zhongli stood up. 

"Where are you going?" 

"To knock some sense into him." 

"But you're a teacher, you can't abuse a student." 

"Then I'll do it with words," Zhongli's vein popped out of his forehead. 

"He should be in the registration office. You might be able to catch him," Xiao pointed in the direction of the building and Zhongli ran out. 

"You're a bit evil, you know?" Scaramouche leaned up against the wall when Xiao walked out of Zhongli's office. 

"Why?" 

"You lied to him." 

"Well, he needed a nudge," Xiao shrugged.