15. Musical Journal

Jungkook arrived back to his sleeping quarters exhausted, but with his mind buzzing from everything still. He had stopped by a store to buy Seol a cellphone, and made sure to help him set up the service. After giving Seol his number, he walked him back to Rai's; wanting to make sure he got back safely before walking back to his place. Jungkook was hoping that it was late enough that he could avoid getting caught by anyone.

After toeing off his shoes, he climbed the stairs, slipping through the door to where his bed was. He flicked on the desk lamp on the desk beside his bed, peeling off his socks and discarding them as he moved to sit on his bed. It was as he sat that he felt something brush against his leg from inside his pocket. Reaching a hand into his pocket, he withdrew the music player that he had borrowed from Seol. Gently, he unwrapped the white earbuds from around them, tucking them into his ear before lying on his back on the bed.

He stared at the blank screen for the longest time, feeling like it was an invasion of privacy to listen to someone else's music player without their permission. It was someone's musical journey. It captured every song they had a connection to. Every song had a purpose for existing there. As Jungkook debated with himself whether or not to turn the player on, he heard a light knock at his door. He quickly took the earbuds out, rolling over onto his side on his bed to tug open a desk drawer. He quickly shoved the music player inside before telling whoever was there to come in.

Jin poked his head around the door before slipping in. Jungkook moved to sit up, quirking a brow.

"You got my text didn't you?" asked Jungkook.

"I did," said Jin as he moved to sit down on the bed beside Jungkook. "I don't believe it though."

Jungkook smirked as Jin folded his hands into his lap.

"As I said this morning, I'm sorry for the words I said to you. I didn't mean them, which means I also shouldn't have said them."

"Stop apologizing," said Jungkook. "There's nothing to apologize for. Sure it hurt my feelings, but it's over. We can move on."

If only Jin knew the madness that was going on as he spoke. He wondered what Jin would think of Seol, thinking back on Seol's words earlier that he and Jin were always getting into creative disagreements. Jin just nodded his head, reaching up to run a hand through the hair that already looked messed up to begin with.

"Jin, you stress too much," continued Jungkook when Jin didn't move to respond again.

"I do," said Jin with a small grin.

"Maybe you ought to get in the way of Hobi's elbow tomorrow to take some time off," teased Jungkook which made Jin laugh.

"Maybe I will," said Jin as he moved to stand up off the bed. "Jungkook?"

"Yeah?"

"I know this might sound random, but if you do ever need to talk, I'm here."

"I appreciate that, Jin," said Jungkook. "Same goes for you."

Jin nodded as he said a soft goodnight and slipped out of the room. Once the door was shut firmly again, Jungkook moved to take the music player out of the desk drawer. He plugged the earbuds back into his ears as he laid on his back. This time there was no debate in his mind about turning it on. He took the plunge, watching the screen light up. He clicked on the created playlist as he allowed his eyes to shut. He allowed the music to take him on a journey, allowing his sleepy brain to briefly be on the same frequency as the woman he would eventually fall for.

- - -

When Seol came back, he had had a wide grin on his face and a story to tell both Rai and Ava. He showed them his new cellphone that Jungkook bought him, making sure that they each had his new number. The whole time that Seol talked, you would have thought he won the lottery. Rai was relieved that Seol was okay, and that was the only thing occupying her thoughts. When he didn't come right back, she had worried that something horrible had happened to him. Soon after everything was said and done, Ava disappeared to go get ready for bed and Seol moved to the living room where he was still sleeping on the couch. Rai stood in the doorway to the kitchen, watching as Seol moved to get comfortable.

"Seol?"

"Yeah?" he asked as he turned to look at her.

Rai lingered in the doorway. Her mind was reeling about the awkward day she had just had. She had finally met the man that she had had a crush on for as long as she could remember, and things couldn't have been more tense. She supposed it was because of the reality that they might share this remarkable boy in front of them. Had they really shared such love, and in turn created such a miracle?

"Never mind," said Rai.

Seol's brows furrowed as he moved to get up, walking over to her to grab her by the hands.

"Say it. I want to know."

"Did your father and I...did we make your life miserable? Do you end up growing to hate the both of us?"

Seol didn't say anything at first as he moved his thumbs over the back of his mother's hands.

"No," said Seol after the pause had lingered for a moment, lifting his head to look at her. "No. You didn't. You filled my life with so much joy...you both mean so much to me. It's why I came back in time. If you made my life miserable...if I hated you...I wouldn't have bothered. I would have run off or something..."

Rai nodded her head.

"Mom, I love you," said Seol as he moved to hug her. "Okay? Don't ever forget that."

She nodded as she moved to hug Seol back. After she walked with him over to the couch, bringing a blanket up around him when he laid down.

"Sweet dreams, Seol," said Rai softly. "I'll see you in the morning."

When Rai left Seol and entered her bedroom, she saw that Ava was already curled up on her side of the bed fast asleep. Rai grabbed her sleepwear, slipping to the bathroom down the hall before coming back in to lay beside her. Rai laid on her back and stared at the darkened ceiling before grappling for her red music player on her nightstand. She plugged the earbuds in as she pulled the sheet up to her chin. The bed and the music playing seemed to envelop her in a warm hug. That was what she needed at that moment. Something to hug her and tell her that the insanity that had become her life was alright; that all of this would work out. Eventually, Rai closed her eyes as her music carried her off to sleep.

- - -