40. Promise

"How many pizzas did we really need to buy?"

Rai chuckled at Ava's comment, helping Ava arrange the pizza boxes in the backseat of her vehicle around the haphazard stack of books there. Rai had bought an abundance of pizzas, not knowing how much the boys would want to eat after having practiced all day. In a way, it was therapy to Rai in a way too. It kept her from worrying about Jungkook who was out there somewhere lost in time. Ava managed to cram the last of the pizza boxes into the back, slipping into the passenger seat as Rai got into the driver's seat.

"Rai, are you still worrying about Jungkook?"

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"Because you're trying to shift into reverse without turning the car on," said Ava with a sigh. "Look, I'm sure Jungkook is fine wherever he is. You know he won't leave you forever. You two are meant for one another."

"I just don't know if I'm worth all this fuss," said Rai. "Love shouldn't have to be this hard."

"Pfft," said Ava with a huff. "Love is hard because it's real. Anything real has its pain. If it wasn't hard, it would be fake love."

Rai nodded her head as she turned her car on. She reversed out of the parking lot and began to drive back towards her apartment. The sky above them slowly started to morph from the baby blue it had been during the day to a dark gray. Soon splats of rain fell down from the sky above and onto the windshield of the car.

"Rain. How lovely," said Rai.

Within ten minutes, they were parking outside the apartment; the rain coming down harder and steadier than before. Rai was about to move to slip out of the car when a pair of headlights shone behind her. Swiveling in her car seat, she could see through the back window that another vehicle had just pulled in.

"It must be the boys," said Ava as she turned to look too. "Perfect timing. They can help lug things in."

Rai nodded as she moved to step out into the rain. She didn't have a hood and felt her hair getting drenched immediately, sticking to her face as she tugged open the back door of the vehicle. She grappled for some of the pizza boxes, moving to stand back upright when she noticed that - even though it was raining - no more rain was hitting her. Lifting her head she saw that a navy blue umbrella was being held over her head. It must be Jin or Seol. Turning, Rai looked at the person that was protecting her from the rain. She almost dropped the pizzas in her hand onto the ground as she stared into the face of an older Jungkook.

- - -

The pizza was forgotten to everyone assembled in the apartment; the rain coming down hard outside. Ava and Jin were trying to get everyone to eat while Rai kept staring at the older Jungkook. She didn't understand why he was here. Seol was lingering in the kitchen doorway, watching the two of them sitting on the couch beside each other as awkward as they were the first time they met.

"I have a lot to say, but no words to say it," said Jungkook finally. "Odd, right?"

"No, it's not," said Rai as she looked at him, "But I'd like you to find them though. I want to know why you're here."

"My younger self came to talk to me," said Jungkook finally; watching as Rai's face lit up.

"He's okay then?"

Jungkook smirked, nodding his head.

"Obviously he is because I'm him. If he weren't, I wouldn't be here."

Rai felt her cheeks heat up at her idiocy, nodding her head as Jungkook moved to continue.

"He saw how miserable my life had become, and told me to stop being a coward; to fight for the woman and son I love; to fight for my family."

"Why weren't you going to?"

"I felt like I did too many things to hurt you. I acted stupidly. I caused you and Seol both pain, and I...I felt you both deserved better than me. I was afraid of hurting you worse, so I thought divorce was a kindness."

Rai was silent as she looked at him.

"Do you want out of the marriage and you're just looking for an excuse right now?" asked Rai.

"No. I don't want that. I want you and Seol," said Jungkook. "I love you both dearly. It's selfish, but I don't want to let you go...if it's not too late for me to say that."

"Jungkook," said Rai. "I get hurt easily. The moment I think someone doesn't want me, I shut down. I understand though that people make mistakes. I'm sure I'm not innocent in this either. I want you to stay too. I don't want to think we fall apart down the line."

"Well, just remember this now, alright," said Jungkook. "I'm going to be a jerk at some point in time, and say things that I don't mean, but never forget during all that that I love you. Also always remember my promise I made to you too."

"Promise?"

"Yes. In the chip aisle the day we got the results about Seol. Remember? I promised that I would always come for you. It just may take me some time, or it may take a rude awakening like it did this time."

Jungkook moved to grab one of Rai's hands, squeezing it gently.

"I love you," Jungkook said again. "I always will. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," said Rai. "I love you too."

Jungkook smiled as he leaned over to kiss her forehead gently. Rai felt her eyes close as the tears formed, squeezing Jungkook's hand tightly as she held to his promise and his words even tighter.

- - -