CHAPTER 1

I was ridding my bike to school with tears in my eyes.

I was yet again maltreated by Maria, my uncle's wife. I've been living with them since I was ten because my parents passed away.

I still remember the incidence clearly like it happened yesterday.

My parents, Mr and Mrs Murphy, owned a big company. They were always busy with work, business trips and symposiums.

They barely spent time with me.

I had no friends, I always felt lonely. My neighbor, Mrs Albert who liked to be addressed as Vivien was always there to look after me when my parents were away.

She taught me a lot about the society, human behavior and rights and we also had our girls talk.

Vivien was more than a neighbor to me, she was my grandma and my best friend, I couldn't stand the thought of losing her.

She was always there to cheer me up and I loved her so much even if she was an old lady.

Just last week, she came to visit my parents.

I was happy to hear her voice that evening. I ran downstairs to meet her but came to a halt when I heard the seriousness in her voice. I knew it wasn't good to eavesdrop but before I could stop myself, I was already listening to their conversation.

"The doctor said it's terminal", Vivien said.

"Can't an operation be done?", my dad asked.

"No", Vivien replied almost as a whisper and she kept sobbing. That was the saddest cry I had ever heard.

'What do they mean? What are they talking about?', I asked myself.

"It has eaten deep into my heart, even drugs might be impossible", she added.

"So what do you do to help it?", my dad asked again.

"Just to have enough rest and eat a lot of fruits and veggies", she said with a sad smile.

I noticed my mom was quiet throughout the conversation and I wondered why.

"Why are you so quiet Jane?", my dad asked my mom, noticing that she hadn't said anything

"I don't know who'd look after Jos if anything bad happens", she responded with tears streaming from her eyes. My dad pulled her into his embrace till she stopped crying.

"Jos mustn't know about this", my mom said.

The house became quiet, everyone was lost in thoughts.

I turned and tiptoed back to my bedroom, my heart was broken, I didn't know what they were talking about but it seemed bad. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I've never seen my mom cry or heard such sadness in Vivien's voice.

It was Saturday, my birthday, the day I was to spend the whole evening with my parents who promised me a special treat.

I was thrilled.

I couldn't express my happiness and I didn't know why exactly I was happy but nevertheless, I kept twirling around the living room. Who knew that'd be the last day I'd ever be happy.

"Hey baby, daddy and I just got a call from work now and we have to run", my mom said to me. "But it's my birthday, you promised", I said pouting.

"I know, we'd be back before you know it", she said and gave me a kiss on my head.

"Before we go, come", my dad said as he held my hand. He led me to the dinning table. On the table was a big cake with presents beside, "happy birthday", my dad said. "Thanks dad, thanks mom", I said. The butterflies in my tummy bubbled up, my tenth birthday was a blessing.

"We'd be on our way now sweetie, there's a sandwich in the kitchen", my mom said. "Bye", I said to them.

Few minutes after they left, the door was opened and Vivien peeked. "Why are you so excited my princess?" She asked as she came in. "Today is my birthday. Mom and dad promised me a special treat". I said as I kept jumping.

"What time is this royal birthday?" She asked again as she stalked towards me.

Vivien has been calling me a princess ever since I was three, at a point, I thought either mom or dad came from a royal family but no, she was just fond of calling me a princess. Whenever I asked, she'd say 'your chocolate brown hair and blue eyes like the clear summer sky makes you look like royalty'.

"Dad said 4pm sharp he'd pick me up from home", I replied. "Then what are we waiting for? Let's go get ready", she said as she pulled me upstairs.

I didn't know what she would help with since she had an archaic sense of fashion but I was glad she was with me.

She looked through my closet and picked a white dress. It had beautiful flowers all around it. It was slightly above my knee and had an off-shoulder neck with long net sleeves.

I slid into the dress with excitement and also wondering how she found this dress which I had no idea was in my closet.

She styled my hair into a cute ponytail and placed a tiara on my head, since I was too young for make up, she applied some lip gloss moderately on my deep pink lips. "Oh! Don't forget this one" she said as she placed a wand in my right hand. She looked me in my eyes and smiled "make a wish" she said.

I looked at the wand and said "I wish mom and dad will be with me in every stage of my life because they are the best parents and the only gift I could give them is my success and growth. I also wish Vivien would be cured and see me grow because she is the best grandma I could ever ask for".

I raised my head and looked at her, she had a surprised face, I guess she was wondering how I knew about her health condition, I shouldn't have said that but I couldn't help making that wish, I love Vivien so much.

Her eyes were already wet with tears. I wiped the tears on her cheeks and she drew me into her embrace and hugged me tightly.

"I love you my princess. Happy tenth birthday", she said still holding me. I just held her not knowing what to do.

Our emotional moment was interrupted by her vibrating phone, she loosened her hold to check who was calling.

It was my dad. She looked at me one more time and smiled "it is time, daddy is here" she said.

I ran to my dressing mirror to see if I was perfect for the best parents in the world, upon seeing myself, I was satisfied with everything Vivien had done.

"Thank you", I said and gave her a peck on her left cheek then I walked away quickly to give her time to gather herself. I only ate in the morning, just a slice of sandwich because I didn't want anything to stop me from eating everything my parents were going to get me later.

Thank you for reading ❤️