(𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐈) 𝐓𝐖𝐎 - 𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍

𝟐. (𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈) 𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐒𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

"𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐬?"

"Hello, Mr

"Hello, Mr.Douglas."

Kori looks up from his phone, "Hey Sam."

Sam is his trainer/therapist. That means the man puts him through hell all in the essence of 'recovery' and then Kori gets to rant to him about how subpar he's feeling while sweat rains down from his forehead. It's one of the oddest relationships he's ever experienced. Sam also has a thing about "formality rejects friendship" so the first time Kori called him Mr.McKathy, the man gave him a sharp look and said, "Sam." So far, it's stuck. And as far as white people go, Sam is one of the chillest ones he's met.

"How's the knee feeling today?"

"Good."

"Has there been any incidents since our last appointment?"

"Yea,"

"Care to explain?"

"It's given out twice. One time, I was playing basketball. The other time, I guess I took too many stairs and it just... buckled. It swelled up too, I had to get Mir to wrap it."

"Mir? As in Zamir? Your partner?"

Kori nods, "Yeah, him."

Truth be told, he had no idea what the real context of 'partner' meant. He's pretty sure it means friend though. One day he had been talking about Zamir —the boy had cheated him out of a bet— and Sam looked over, eyes wide. When Kori asked what was wrong, he just shook his head and asked, "Is he your partner?" And at the time, all he could really think was I've known this nigga for about ten years, he's my something. They've been through thick and thin together: breakups, dead family members, car accidents, etc. That has to classify as some type of partners, right? With that thought process, he said, "Yea, he's my partner." To this day, he still wonders why Sam gave him a smile and said, "I'm proud of you for being so open about it." The fuck does that even mean?