1.1 . a house didn't applaud

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

GAIA LESTRANGE AND DRACO MALFOY took the step on to platform 9 3/4 for the first time, the former smiling widely as her thoughts buzzed with excitement, the latter slipping into his usual cocky saunter, chest puffed out and smirk apparent.

       The children were soon joined by Draco's parents, who held their heads high and eyes forward, as always.

       Gaia glanced at the large clock mounted on the wall of the station, taking notice of the time, 10:45, fifteen minutes until the train pulled away.

       "You have everything?" Narcissa asked once more, evenly and seemingly bored. It was a tone Gaia had become accustomed to, but it wasn't always that way. Sure, she was obligated to keep that front in public, but at home, the seemingly cold woman showed her warmth through her love for the children.

       "Yes, Mother."

       "Yes, Aunt Narcissa."

       The pale woman leaned in to her niece to whisper in her ear.

       "We've been setting up a surprise for you. Tonight, at nine o'clock, take out the mirror I packed in your trunk. Ensure you are alone. You'll understand then."

       Though she was beyond confused, Gaia simply nodded in agreement.

       "They really have let this school go to the dumps," Lucius drawled, glancing down his nose at a family with a very obviously confused mother and father, oblivious to the fact that they've given away their blood status quite plainly. "You two best be off now, I can't stand in a place so vile for much longer."

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

The train ride was a let down to Gaia, as she was forced to sit in a compartment with Draco and his friends. These were kids she grew up with, born into prestigious pureblood Slytherin families, but never found joy in spending time with.

       Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle. Unrelated, but never apart. Not because they were incredible friends. Because neither was smart enough to function without the other.

       Blaise Zabini. Second in cockiness only to Draco.

       Pansy Parkinson. Clingy and desperate for attention, mostly from Draco.

       Draco himself was of course someone Gaia was accustomed to. Though he showed himself as an arrogant prick in public, Gaia knew him best. She was the one who comforted him when his father became too much to handle or he wasn't feeling sure of himself.

       But of course she'd be dead if she ever let slip that he'd shed a tear.

       Gaia had to hold in her groan as she listened to the other five students insult each other and argue over stupid topics.

       This is it, huh? she questioned herself. I spend the next seven years in Slytherin and listening to this every day.

       She sighed, rolling her eyes, and leaned against the window to observe the passing scenery and drown out the noise filling her ears.

       When the train finally slowed down, the children all parted to change into their robes, returning several minutes later tugging at collars and skirts.

       "This is ridiculous," Pansy whined as she observed herself in the window and fumbled with the top button of her shirt, before succeeding in unclasping it and showing off a bit of her nonexistent cleavage. "There," she smirked, "that's better. Isn't it Draco?"