1.5 . doing something right

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN her three years at Hogwarts, Gaia was enjoying her time at school, and rather disappointed with how quickly it was passing. Soon enough, scarves were being wrapped around bare necks and headbands were swapped for thick hats as autumn waded in and with it came the heedless foreshadowing of several cold months to come. Gaia welcomed the often avoided weather. She had adopted a new persona in the past weeks. Harry's kindness and their now more often interactions with Ron as well left her feeling practically giddy. She became almost unsure of her own emotions being that she had smiled more in the past three weeks than she had in the past three years. She even caught herself wishing that Quidditch hadn't been canceled this year so she may actually see a game and cheer Harry on from the stands.

       The rest of the school had not missed this new relationship brewing. Most were shocked, some appalled, that the Boy Who Lived had so openly befriended the Unforgivable, as many so kindly called her. And though the fowl nickname didn't go unnoticed by the young Potter (Gaia could see him clench his fist when it was murmured in the corridors), she was suddenly too satisfied with her own life to pay much mind to any of the bullies. 

       October was now upon the students, and was passing quickly. Hermione still sat with Ron and Harry at meal times, but on days where she opted out to study in the library, Gaia was invited to fill her place. Progress, in her eyes. 

       After one such occurrence, the three students made the trek to the Common Room together and met the bushy-haired girl while passing the hospital wing. Over the previous several weeks, Gaia had noticed the ever so slight lift of the Granger girl's nose when she would spot the three spending time together. Today, however, there was no trace of pride as  the girl instead walked straight for them.

       "Hi Gaia," she greeted, catching all three off guard. "I was wondering if I could talk to you."

       Gaia glanced briefly at the boys by her side, before shrugging subtly and muttering a short, "Sure."

       "We'll give you two some space," Harry suggested as he stepped away, hand grasping Ron's wrist, who was clearly opposed to the idea of leaving what he believed was a scene waiting to be caused.

       After a struggle and a quiet whine to his keeper, the redhead was successfully pulled away, leaving the girls alone in the empty corridor.

       "I don't quite know what to say," Hermione started.

       "That's a first," Gaia remarked, crossing her arms and applying a sharp, but not dishonest bite to her words.

       "I deserved that," Hermione admitted with a defeated sigh. "Remember back in the Common Room? The night we got back to school. You said maybe once it all sunk it I would feel sorry."

       "I remember."

       "Well you were right. It sunk in. All of it. How awful I was to you and how much I deserved to be replaced in the Great Hall. And how much you deserve to be happy with friends like Harry and Ron... Mostly Harry. What I said was horrible, just as horrible as how I've treated you for years. And I know I don't deserve any forgiveness from you, so I certainly understand if you can't forgive me yet or ever. But I wanted to at least ask. I needed you to know that I've really thought about my mistakes and I'm learning from them. And if it's ever possible, I'd really love for us to be friends someday, even though I know I totally screwed that up from the beginning. And if Harry and Ron like being with you... then I know for certain that I judged your character wrong."