1.7 . get out of the tree, malfoy

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

THE FEW DAYS THAT FOLLOWED were strange, to say the least. 

       To start, when Gaia made it to her dormitory after walking back with Harry that night, she was bombarded by an anxious Hermione, who started spewing apologies. 

       "I know that we've been talking and getting closer of course, but... well it's just that seeing how you reacted to Harry getting picked, and how you stayed back to help him and all just shows me even more how horribly I misjudged you. I mean, it's quite clear you care for him. And of course I saw it before, I think I was just too prideful to admit that you weren't as bad as I thought and... I just really hope we can be friends now. Real friends. Not just the awkward acquaintance thing we've been doing. I want to know you better."

       Gaia had accepted the offer; she definitely preferred the idea of friends to forced acquaintances. And Hermione had definetely proved herself as more than just a haughty know-it-all, she could admit her faults and work to overcome them. 

       After a late night of talking and actually enjoying each other's company, Harry then had to get used to the new lack of tension and side glares when he was with them both.

       Ron was also no exception to the movement of change. Gaia had become accustomed to his welcomed humor in the past months, even in serious situations. Though, upon arriving in the Gryffindor Common Room with Harry so late nights prior, she had discovered from Hermione that the redhead was rather bitter and had stormed swiftly away to his dormitory. The next morning they discovered the root of his anguish - Harry's new publicity. 

       Of course, this was yet another addition to the differences encountered since the Champions' selection. Nearly the entire school was against Harry. Many claimed that he entered the tournament himself, despite his constant denial. And now, with each new glare in the hallway Gaia was noticing him becoming more and more frustrated.

       It seemed the only thing that hadn't changed was Gaia herself. While everything around her shifted, she found herself doing so not in the slightest. She was available to cool Harry down after a sour interaction with the Slytherins. She let Hermione bounce ideas off of her for her homework assignments. She even went out of her way to try and confront Ron about his hostility once, but he promptly turned her away and left the room.

       Now, Harry, Hermione and Gaia were out for a walk, a venture made at the request of the later two, who hoped the beauty of the weather might brighten Harry's mood to some degree. Of course, this was only if they managed to avoid any snide comments which were becoming more and more often by the day. Their attempts, however, were spoiled as they made their way through the courtyard only to be caught by the vile tone they knew too well to be Draco Malfoy.

       "Look boys, it's the champion," he sneered from somewhere close behind them. The trio turned, each sighing or rolling their eyes in annoyance. Their eyes locked on the blond sitting on a low tree branch over his two goons below. 

       Ever a flair for the dramatic, Gaia thought to herself. 

       "Signing autographs, Potter?" the blond scoffed. "Reckon you won't be around to do it much longer. My father and I have a bet, you see. About how long you'll make it. I said ten minutes. He disagrees, he thinks you won't last five."

       "Get out of the tree, Malfoy, you don't look nearly as cool as you think you do," Gaia retorted. 

       Gaia took pride in knowing that her new demeanor this year had angered her cousin endlessly. He used to be able to push her around all he wanted. Not that he ever did, but it seemed he was mad at himself for missing his chance, knowing that now she would fight back. And he hadn't bickered with her enough to know whether or not she could win in an argument against him. It was a risk he did not want to take. First year was different. Everyone was forming their reputation and he could afford a few mishaps, like Harry's rejection on the night of their arrival. Now, though, his reputation was already formed, and he wasn't keen on seeing it drop from a lost debate with his cousin.