1.14 . lady of a pureblood house

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

GAIA WAS BY NO MEANS planning to entertain the custom that attendants of the Yule Ball were strongly encouraged to acquire a date for the occasion. Rather, she spent half of Potions the next day trying to convince Hermione to join her in what she called her, "Display of Rejection of Patriarchal Practices Imposed on Young Women at Too Young of an Age."

       Hermione called her bullshit for what it was: she didn't have the balls to ask someone to the dance. 

       And she sure as hell didn't count on anyone asking her. Not when she had spent 3 years making it her soul purpose to avoid social interaction with any and every Hogwarts student, leaving her with a grand total of 3 friends. Hermione had made it clear she didn't want to go as friends, and Gaia guessed that the girl had suspicions that someone may ask her to be their date. Ron was... not an option. He and the Lestrange girl were like siblings more than anything else. And beyond that, the thought of dancing with him... Merlin help her. 

       Harry had crossed her mind, she couldn't lie. She wondered, for a brief moment, if he might ask her. She thought back to the way he had acted in the Champions' Tent before the First Task, how his arms lingered for a moment. How he jumped to defend her against Rita Skeeter. 

       But then she remembered that he was a Champion and felt quite stupid for assuming that his top priority was also finding a date to a stupid dance, rather than just trying to make it through the year alive. 

      Then again, that seemed to be his top priority every year. 

      Deadly threats aside, she was set on her decision to attend alone, whether others joined her in that cowardice or not. 

       That is, until a particularly dreaded owl dropped two particularly dreaded envelopes in front of her one morning at breakfast. 

       She set down her fork and rolled her eyes, recognizing the pair of perfect cursive penmanship addressing the letters to her. 

       "What is it?" Harry asked from across the table, noticing her suddenly agitated state. Ron and Hermione perked up from their own conversation to listen in. 

       "It's from home," the Lestrange answered, sighing as the angrily tore into the first envelope, no regard for the beautiful stationary that looked more expensive than the gold necklace she was wearing. "I already know what it's going to say."

       Unfolding the letter, she skimmed it quickly, suspicions confirmed. 

       Gaia, 

       Severus has informed us that the student body has now been made aware of the upcoming Yule Ball. As you know, events such as these are an introduction into Pureblood Society. As the future Lady of a Pureblood house, you will one day host and attend Balls such as these regularly. 

       Thus, you and Draco both must consider this as practice for your adult lives. Seeing as Narcissa and I, as your official guardians, will one day approve a suitor for you, it is only appropriate that this is no different. 

       Attached is a list of approved Hogwarts students with whom you may attend the Ball. 

       Draco has also received a list of approved young women with whom he may consider attending, as have all the young men on your own list. Your name is on each one of their lists.